Opening the HP W1907 LCD

biblethumper

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Waranty is 2 days out, and I wake up to a 1" mountain range accross the bottom and the usual random pixel rows turned on to various colors. I unplug after turning off, and pick it up for an intuitive look and sniff and realise there is something rolling around in there! My question is how to open the case without going postal?

akuma6099

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
haha, been there. This ones a little tricky. Hope you have strong fingers. start by removing the base. There are 3 screws. First pull the base plate off. Then remove 2 screws. Next remove the little rubber insert in the center of the base bracket. You will need a long phillips to get to the 3rd screw. Slide out the base bracket. Flip the panel over and stare at the lcd with the buttons side on the top. Grab a small flat head screw driver. Look at an angle in each of the corners between the inner black lcd trim and the silver outside trim. There is a slit. Shove the flathead in there and pry outward toward the silver trim while lifting on the black inner trim vertically. The trick is to flex the black trim toward the silver and then pull up. There are 6 plastic snaps on the top and bottom, and 4 snaps on the left and right. If you've taken laptop screens apart, you'll feel the similarity.

Once you pry the black trim off the front. Disconnect the LCD Menu button assembly and power button. Then flip over the LCD and lift off the back shell. Looking at the back, remove the 2 connectors for the speakers. Use a small flathead to pry the 4 Inverter power connectors. These 4 connectors have a clip on them and are usually hard to pull out using the wire. Once thoses 6 connectors are removed, remove the 2 phillips screws holding the AC power plug to the case. Also remove the 4 3/16 posts for the VGA and DVI ports. Next remove 4 screws, 2 screws from each side of the LCD assembly. Hold the panel face down with the aluminum tape in the bottom left. Lift the shield and guide the 6 wires through the cage. While opening, look inside and disconnect the flat ribbon cable as soon as you can. Put the LCD to the side. Remove 2 screws from the Video processing board, and 5 screws from the power supply. Note: 1 of the 5 screws is longer. Rotate/slide the power PCB away from the cage to clear the speaker and AC plug, Then rotate towards the Video board. Disaconnect 1 plug. The OTHER plug is SOLDERED and must be disconnected from the video processing board.

There you have it. It stumped me for about a half hour. No pry marks. Barely noticed the 2 slits in between the trims. Well, good luck. Happy Soldering.

PS: I opened mine because I assumed it had bad capacitors. It only powers on for a short short period of time.

blankenship

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I'm at the point where I should see a slit, but I don't. Do you remember where it was or anything? I see a space between the silver trim and the black trim (on the front), but I can't get them apart. Thanks.

red59rider

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Your direction was very helpful, thank you. It was a pain to get apart, but I, like you, have the same problem with monitor going "black" after it warms up. Shut it off and turn back on, picture is good for a few min's, if that then out again.
What did you find to be the problem with yours???
Much appreciated if you can help, thanks

G

I have one here that stays of for several minutes then goes black. Power off & on restores picture for a few minutes. Again and again...
Cure was to replace the lower bulbs.

Monitor Mike

eddiekim26

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Hi,
Same problems for my HP W1907....
I disassembled the lcd down but couldn't find any CCFL bulb.
Just white plastic panel with 4 cables on the top and bottom of one side.

Does it have a different type of bulbs?
Can any one give instruction to replace the bulbs?
Thanks

akuma6099

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Wow this thread is still going on? I've left this panel in pieces for about a year now! I didn't find any bad caps, but the CCFL makes sense. Typically it is the inverter that feeds the bulbs. I will try replacing bulbs first.
Can any one give instruction to replace the bulbs?

There are 2 bulbs. One on top and one on the bottom of the LCD assembly. They run the long way. You usually need to remove some metal tape to expose them. The 4 - 2 pin plugs you disconnected are the CCFL leads. I havn't looked, but this is standard info for all LCD assemblies that have CCFL. Sometimes the LCD has a metal trim that goes all the way around the outside edge. It needs to be removed to access the CCFL bulbs. At this point, the 3-4 layers that make up your LCD can come out. Don't remove them, or mix them up, or get dust in there. Just makes it harder later.

Also check for sloppy soldering from the factory(Power supply). The inverter is built into the power supply on this model. Well good luck.

Gr8Marine

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Ok, all of this info is great! However, the BIG question is this: Where do I purchase the CCFL bulbs? I have looked everywhere and I have no clue where to purchase them. Anyone have any information on that?

Artisian

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

I found someone on ebay that has some replacement bulbs for this model, for 26 bucks i believe. just search the model and it is about the fifth one down.....

mrninja

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
akuma6099 wrote :
haha, been there. This ones a little tricky. Hope you have strong fingers. start by removing the base. There are 3 screws. First pull the base plate off. Then remove 2 screws. Next remove the little rubber insert in the center of the base bracket. You will need a long phillips to get to the 3rd screw. Slide out the base bracket. Flip the panel over and stare at the lcd with the buttons side on the top. Grab a small flat head screw driver. Look at an angle in each of the corners between the inner black lcd trim and the silver outside trim. There is a slit. Shove the flathead in there and pry outward toward the silver trim while lifting on the black inner trim vertically. The trick is to flex the black trim toward the silver and then pull up. There are 6 plastic snaps on the top and bottom, and 4 snaps on the left and right. If you've taken laptop screens apart, you'll feel the similarity.

Once you pry the black trim off the front. Disconnect the LCD Menu button assembly and power button. Then flip over the LCD and lift off the back shell. Looking at the back, remove the 2 connectors for the speakers. Use a small flathead to pry the 4 Inverter power connectors. These 4 connectors have a clip on them and are usually hard to pull out using the wire. Once thoses 6 connectors are removed, remove the 2 phillips screws holding the AC power plug to the case. Also remove the 4 3/16 posts for the VGA and DVI ports. Next remove 4 screws, 2 screws from each side of the LCD assembly. Hold the panel face down with the aluminum tape in the bottom left. Lift the shield and guide the 6 wires through the cage. While opening, look inside and disconnect the flat ribbon cable as soon as you can. Put the LCD to the side. Remove 2 screws from the Video processing board, and 5 screws from the power supply. Note: 1 of the 5 screws is longer. Rotate/slide the power PCB away from the cage to clear the speaker and AC plug, Then rotate towards the Video board. Disaconnect 1 plug. The OTHER plug is SOLDERED and must be disconnected from the video processing board.

There you have it. It stumped me for about a half hour. No pry marks. Barely noticed the 2 slits in between the trims. Well, good luck. Happy Soldering.

PS: I opened mine because I assumed it had bad capacitors. It only powers on for a short short period of time.

Hello, I followed your (very comprehensive!) description of how to take apart the w1907 monitor, and I disassembled the monitor because I assumed bad capacitors as well, however upon removing the power circuit board and examined the capacitors I did not find any bulging or leaking capacitors and I was wondering If the capacitors were you problem as well, but were they leaking or bulging on your monitor? Thank you.

SketchyMeth602

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I have one here that stays of for several minutes then goes black. Power off & on restores picture for a few minutes. Again and again...
Cure was to replace the lower bulbs.

Monitor Mike
Same problem here, followed the instruction to take her apart, finally got to the bulbs(capacitors look fine) and they look pretty good.

All the bulbs have a little black on each end, but they all work.

I plugged them back into the board with the monitor still dismantled, plugged in the AC cord and powered her up.

*Wear sunglasses if you attempt this*

Stuff is Bright.

I was expecting either the top or bottom bulbs to give out, or single bulb, but instead they all flicker and go out at the same time.

So could the culprit of this problem still be the bulbs?

What else could it be?

mstchief

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Much appreciate your instructions for dismantling as well though i had to dig further in order to get the plastic covering off. Finally got the thing dismantled didnt take off the boards, took of the lcd screen and just left the lights and powered it up they came on and stayed on for ten mintues until i unplugged them. plugged them back in and they still worked so i then halfway assembled the lcd screen againand turned it on cut out after 2 seconds. took it apart again and tried again did this a few times.appears theres a short somewhere.depending on how the ccfl cables are positioned they will stay on or go dark.. not sure where the short is as everything looks fine but im sure its not a capacitor or the bulbs because i was able to get mines too stay on for over an hour with lcd on. gonna take the shrink wrap off of the leads and investigate further

JulesM

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

Followed this thread all the way down. Did you find a solution after you ripped off the shrink wrap?

ganip2228

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
just wondering i butchered my monitor into a suitcase and want to extend the power button to a different location. the wire to the switch has 5 wires 4 white one red sadly i no longer have the switch how can i wire this to a different on/off button

bigbee99

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I was having the same problem with my monitor. Unlike you guys, I did not have to replace the bulbs. My problem was on the power supply. There were 2x 1000uf 25v caps that were bulging ever so slightly. I had 2 on hand anyway so I changed them out while I was inside checking everything out. Everything seems to be fine now. I've been using it for the past hour and it has not went to the black screen yet.

Klite49

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I had this same problem with the display going off after about 4 seconds.
What I did was: There are for plugs inside on the left side that I would guess come from the backlight bulbs.I simply switched them around.I switched the top plugs around and the bottom plugs around just to see what it would do.
I hooked the monitor back up and it came on and stayed on.
And I don't mind saying: Not bad for finding the thing at the dump. LOL

Reactions: badhawk7

gow_online

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I have a problem with my hp w1907 monitor. The thing is, monitor looks fine. But when i turn on the comp, monitor displays a msg "monitor going to sleep" and turns off in 2mins. I checked connecting to another computer, i tried changing the power chord and i even tried changing the VGA cable. What shall i do? Please help me...

wolf99

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

thank you very much your little trick worked on mine to i switched them around like u did and bam she worked

locojo

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

had the same problem - turn it on and it would shut down after about 1 second - had a hell of a time getting the back off but finally did - i swapped the plugs as you did and it now works - someone was giving it away free on craig's list = thanks to you and the person i got it from

Brendon Green

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
For those of you who have the backlight problem and have swapped the connections to the backlights, does this appear to be a permanent solution to the problem? Has anyone investigated the inverter circuit to see what could be causing the problem to occur?

scorpio8thnov

Honorable
May 18, 2013

scorpio8thnov

Honorable
May 18, 2013
First, Thank You Very Very Much for the wonderful help about opening HP w1907 and pointed out the capacitor changing thing. i am an engineer of electronics but only three or four things i opened & repaired by myself because i am in a cotton business now. i am using HP w1907 since last 4 years, just before 4 days it started black out problems when i log off from windows 8, i could log off but was not able to SHUT DOWN or RESTART because of the monitor black out, when i try to start the monitor from power button above the panel 6 to 7 times then only it could stay ON for SHUT DOWN or RESTART. then i googled, no help even from the HP site,i have seen many forums of other users who are suffering the same problem on HP site.then i started finding solution over here and i have luckily found your forum about opening it and changing the capacitor about which we doubt as not working, then yesterday i first opened the monitor as per your guidance, i opened every parts of the monitor. when i opened the power supply i saw 1000uF 25V 105C(little bigger) and 470uF 25V 102C(smaller)-2 Nos., then i went to a nearby electronics shop and purchased a soldering iron,flux,desoldering wik, and all the 3 capacitors. i found 85C capable instead of 105C & 102C,other values are same.i thought there is no problem in little tempreture difference characteristics. then came back home and changed all the 3 capacitors, i had a very good grip in soldering when i finished my studies in 1991, so perfectly done that. then fixed all the parts of the monitor carefully, switched ON. and all the BLACK OUTS were gone. i was sooooooo happy, now my monitor is working like a BRAND NEW one.
Thank You for sharing your HP w1907 repairing experience here, it really really helped me.

-SANJAY VACHHANI(INDIA)

golfcart

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
symptom :
backlight shutting off after 2 seconds,
screen seeming to go black / off ,
shining bright torch at screen could see dull image.
disassembled(you tube has clear video tutorial)

tried:
Checked capacitors, none bulging
checked backlight wires-looked ok, tested ok on continuity
holding down power button for 60 seconds- NO success
turning down brightness in settings (using torch to make image/menu visible.NO success

SUCCESS
as mentioned in previous posts SWAPPED around BACKLIGHT PLUGS = SUCCESS , now working again, i.e swap 2 at the top around , then swap 2 at bottom around.
kudos to the contributor(s) who mentioned and the ones who had success with it and posted.