[SOLVED] OpenVPN tunneling

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I'm trying to setup a VPN network consisting of two sites so that all traffic is routed through one site (VPN server). The question is simple: Can I use two routers with built-in OpenVPN support to achieve a proper OpenVPN tunnel?

My thinking is that one router can be configured as the VPN server and the other as the VPN client. I'm currently looking at buying a couple of these for that very purpose. Also, this will be the very first VPN I've ever setup so if you could provide a link to a comprehensive tutorial that would be much appreciated as well!

Solution
My guess is yes but it to a point depends on if the server side allows you to go back to the internet. Most have that ability. Unfortantly routers do not have a standard way to configure vpn so you are going to need to find a example for that particular company. There is generally lots of information on how to configure stuff on tplink.

Be aware vpn takes a lot of cpu power you will likely not see much over about 30mbps. In addition the upload speed on the "server" router may limit your speed.
My guess is yes but it to a point depends on if the server side allows you to go back to the internet. Most have that ability. Unfortantly routers do not have a standard way to configure vpn so you are going to need to find a example for that particular company. There is generally lots of information on how to configure stuff on tplink.

Be aware vpn takes a lot of cpu power you will likely not see much over about 30mbps. In addition the upload speed on the "server" router may limit your speed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS