openWRT / Wireless modem router ADSL+2

Abdelsalam Smadi

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
hey
i'm having a problem with my isp, they gave me only 20 gig capacity and my family use them all and i end up paying for a lot of extra gigs they used!

so i'm using the default isp wireless Modem Router Adsl+2 with 24Mb bandwidth i have, it's called ZTE "ZXHN H108N"

So what i want it to flash OpenWRT

Now i heard i need a router that support openWRT or DD-WRT etc. the problem is i found some but they are a router only! so can i connect them to my current wireless modem router without any issues or do you recommend to get a fully modern modem router adsl+2?

if not please advice for a good wireless modem router that support what i need.

i found these one's as modem router http://goo.gl/qtnjkG , http://goo.gl/5YBtpS but they aren't supported on openWRT list

please help
Thank you in advance

Solution
You have to be very careful of any third party firmware images that claim to run on devices that contain DSL modems. Most this firmware is based on open source licensing and there are legal types of issue with the software required to run DSL. I have seen people claim you can do it but you would have to build the image yourself since they cannot distribute dsl software...even though you can download it yourself. I really hate lawyers.

So in effect you cannot get a dd-wrt/openWRT image that will run on a DSL router.

Your best option I suspect will be to run the current "modem/router" as only a modem and set it to bridge mode. You would then put pretty much any router behind it. Huge numbers of routers now support WRT images...
You have to be very careful of any third party firmware images that claim to run on devices that contain DSL modems. Most this firmware is based on open source licensing and there are legal types of issue with the software required to run DSL. I have seen people claim you can do it but you would have to build the image yourself since they cannot distribute dsl software...even though you can download it yourself. I really hate lawyers.

So in effect you cannot get a dd-wrt/openWRT image that will run on a DSL router.

Your best option I suspect will be to run the current "modem/router" as only a modem and set it to bridge mode. You would then put pretty much any router behind it. Huge numbers of routers now support WRT images so its going to be how much do you want to spend and which features do you need. They range from simple single band routers all the way up to the new 802.11ac routers.

Solution

Abdelsalam Smadi

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

so i'm gonna keep my zte modem and router as a modem only as you said through bridge connection and i'm gonna get one of these routers first the TP-link WR841N 300M as i saw on openWRT it's supported and cheap http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd and the second one is http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd it is only 150M so which one do you recommend ?

If the only difference is the 150m vs 300m it may or may not make a difference. First thing is if your cards in your machine do not also support the 300m then it will just negotiate a slower speed anyway. You will likely never even get the 150m because that is only in perfect conditions but it will likely be many times faster that you internet connection. If money is a large issue then the 150m will be good enough.

Be aware if your goal is to set a hard limit ie quota I don't think openwrt or dd-wrt have that feature. I have seen it discussed a number of times. I suspect the largest issue is that the route must maintain data over a long period of time and it has no place to store it...ie no disk drive.

You can of course use the normal QoS to limit the rates but if you do not set them low enough you will still hit your quotas

Abdelsalam Smadi

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

actually the 300M is cheaper than the 150MB but the difference is not an issue for me, i just wanted to know which one is more stable on openART

anyway Thank you.

Latest posts