Opera: Our New Browser Will Change the Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cielmerlion[/nom]Ironic that to see the video you have to go to Youtube, one of the nasty middle men they seek to replace.[/citation]
and how do you suppose to advertise that without current actual means of showing media? don`t know if i said this right but i guess you get the ideea.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cielmerlion[/nom]Ironic that to see the video you have to go to Youtube, one of the nasty middle men they seek to replace.[/citation]

Yeah, but that's to get the word out. Otherwise only people that already have Opera Unite would be able to view the commercial.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
The web just reinvented? everyone can already get a copy of Apache and build a web server. Same for a FTP. There are dozens of file sharing possibility already existing.

If I understand correctly, Opera wants to make it easy for people to share files directly. Which is fine, but they'll have to do something about firewall/routers/nat configuration hell.

I think they make their idea bigger than it is. I think they just want to make easier and more convenient a bunch of things that already exist, which is good!

But it's nowhere near CHANGING THE WORLD!!!

I hate when they say things like this.

3ddraft

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
It's a good idea but the nice thing about the file sharing sites is that they're almost always up and running. How many people will know to leave their computers on all the time and make sure to have battery backups? The advantage of the sites is that the information is always available from anywhere in the world.

G

How about download/upload caps?????
Still Opera is my favorite browser....! too fast...!

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Can someone explain to me where web browsers make their money? It seems as of late that many browsers are expending vast amounts of resources to gain market share. But for what purpose? Isn't ad revenue given to the sites you browse and not the browser software company. In addition FF blocks adds... I'm just confused as to how FF, Opera, Chrome, IE, etc. is benefiting from my use of their browser.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Lol, the video is a little misleading. "Strangers on the web owning servers" but er, don't you have a better chance of downloading a virus from some dude's hard drive than say ImageShack?

With that said, I like Opera. It is my backup browser to FireFox and some of the features of their new 10 beta are very unique and deserve recognition. 100% on Acid Test, saves your tabs upon closing the browser to name a couple.

Pros to Opera Unite:
Saves bandwidth and space on servers
Instead of uploading something to a server to share it, and have it sit there for years when nobody is actually looking up the file

Cons:
Uses your hard drive space (but I keep backups of stuff I upload anyway?)
Seems like a security breach to say the least, I'm sure these connections have to be authorized but there is always the possibility of hackers and how much trust to you have for the person connecting to your computer?

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]Can someone explain to me where web browsers make their money? It seems as of late that many browsers are expending vast amounts of resources to gain market share. But for what purpose? Isn't ad revenue given to the sites you browse and not the browser software company. In addition FF blocks adds... I'm just confused as to how FF, Opera, Chrome, IE, etc. is benefiting from my use of their browser.[/citation]
Dude I wonder the same thing. They always talk about "market share" but this is a free web browser we are talking about. Besides ad revenue, who the hell is paying for their web browser?

G

This is a neat idea in theory, but overall I see it as a huge step back. The big cons here that really kill this browser concept are:
1. Home computers are not always on, nor are their connections optimal or secure. Everything that occurs here is at the behest of an individuals PC and all of their personal and local settings, and at the mercy of everyone they connect to.
2. If your home machine crashes, if a hard drive dies, etc...then potentially everything is lost. Gmail will always have your email...Youtube will always have your movie...but your home machine may not if a hard drive fails.
3. Security will be a huge mess. You're allowing tons of access to your personal computer while accessing many others in a similar way.

Opera has always been a fringe browser used by geeks and computer science people with a desire for an alternative, and faster browser. It's never been mainstream and these changes are not going to change that. If nothing else, average users that try it may very well open their computers up to even more security issues.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
If you want your computer to be a first class citizen on the web, then you're going to need some first class bandwidth. You might as well just run Apache.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]can someone explain to me why companies compete to have the best browser? what do they get out of it?[/citation]
Our souls

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
there's one MAJOR problem with this... upload speed. Most ISP's give you insufficient upload speed. servers are servers for a reason. because they're set up to serve content. I personally don't want a constant p2p like program running. Some ISP's offer such little upload speed that you can't request more than one or two pages at a time without every other subsequent page timing out or just flat out taking forever to load. If i wanted to serve content to friends I would make one of my computer's a server and pay for the extra upload speed so i could serve my own web pages and files. EG: when i had a 16m download my isp only allowed a 1m upload. Throwing out the fact that both speeds are relatively pathetic on an international scale, it's considered a relatively good offering in most regions of the US. Thumbs up for innovation, thumbs down for not taking into consideration the overall infrastructure in the US. Having said that, this might be very successful in countries such as Japan and Korea where the average connection has the gonads to serve a bit of real data.

G

What happens if your content goes viral and all of a sudden you get 100's of hits per minute?

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
We are still gonna need servers..... thats how most people find things , I mean how am I supposed to find something if the person doesnt have they're computer on or only allows people to ask for URL's? I dunno about you , but I like keeping my stuff on my computer to myself. If I want to upload it I upload it to a server. If we had no servers what would happen to websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.