Operating system DELETED!!!

Lewis1987

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
I accidentally deleted my operating system a few weeks ago and have since purchased a W7 product key. I downloaded the W7 ISO file and moved it to my flash drive, then connected it to my computer with no operating system. Nothing happened. I checked the boot order in the BIOS settings and can confirm that USB/Floppy disk is prioritized #1.

After retrying several times it still hasn't worked.

HP Pro 3515 Series
AMD A6-5400k APU with Radeon HD
3600 MHz

Need to know anything else? Post below.

Solution
If your computer came pre-built with an OS already installed, you might be able to contact the computer's maker and get a recovery disk or new OS from them for no cost, after explaining what happened.

Lewis1987

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

I thought so! I’ll pick your answer as the solution but beforehand, I have a followup question. When I downloaded windows 10 onto the flash drive with a media creation tool a while ago, I wasn't able to complete the installation because whenever I selected a drive for it to be downloaded on, no drive was compatible. If the same issue occurs, what then?

Lewis1987

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

If I do that successfully, can I then downgrade to W7? W10 is not for me.

In any case, as I mentioned, I couldn't install W10 due to not having a compatible drive for it. I'm a noob.

USAFRet

Titan

Where did you obtain the Win 7 license key and ISO file?

Lewis1987

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Softwaregeeks - 18.99 professional product key

Noooo! I assumed you were wanting to upgrade to 10 since you said you had already tried to download it.

Gray market . . . you know it's possible that MS will not let you use or at some point disable that key?

USAFRet

Titan

Win 7 Pro for $18.99 is not valid.
Be prepared to purchase this again, when MS invalidates that license.

Lewis1987

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

I didn't know nor was I made aware of that.

USAFRet

Titan

Generally, with a Windows OS, if you find it much cheaper than the major resellers (Amazon/Newegg/Microcenter), it is not valid.
Does it work initially? Sure. But very, very often, those license keys get invalidated.
The source for those keys is often stolen credit cards (money laundering). Or, MSDN or TechNet licenses that are not valid for resale.

For instance, when TechNet was a thing a couple of years ago, I had a subscription. $200.
For testing within your environment. Multiple licenses of multiple OS's.

I could turn around and sell those for $30 per license, and make a bunch of money. Later, when they get invalidated from MS...too bad for the 100 people that gave me $30 each.

Lewis1987

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

You're completely wrong. Firstly, I've never bought a product key or an installation disc. Every computer I've ever owned had a version of windows readily available, so please, slow down with your judgmental attitude.

I simply did a quick google search, saw an ad with an okay deal which in hindsight appeared to be legitimate and I quickly made the purchase.

I accidentally deleted my OS because after attempting to reset my PC due to wifi adapter and W10 problems. During the reset, there was an error which presumably corrupted the system.