Operating System Hard drive.

sid

I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
my hard drive. ugh!.
We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
carrying the operating system.
Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
normal and have the op sys on C:\

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

About the only way to get it back to "C" is to re-install XP. This time,
make sure you don't have anything attached to the computer except the mouse,
keyboard, and monitor. If you have the drive partitioned, make sure you
install to the 1st partition. Also, follow the instructions from the
following link to assure a painless install.
Thanks to Michael Stevens

LOL, JAX

"Sid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
> my hard drive. ugh!.
> We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
> running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
> to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
> operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
> It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
> carrying the operating system.
> Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
> normal and have the op sys on C:\

sid

Hi Jax,
vmt for that. As soon as I work up enough courage I will
give it another go.
regards
Sid

There is a procedure to rename the system drive, but Microsoft doesn't
recommend it (even though there's an article in the KB).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188&Product=winxp

Mike D.

"Sid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
> my hard drive. ugh!.
> We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
> running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
> to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
> operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
> It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
> carrying the operating system.
> Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
> normal and have the op sys on C:\

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi Mike,

I have read that article before. The way I understand it, the warning "Do
not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on
a computer where the drive letter has not changed." would apply directly to
the OP since the letter was assigned at installation of the OS and using
that procedure would put him at the highest risk of failure. Additionally,
judging by the information in the post, I doubt that the OP is prepared to
dive into the registry.

FWIW, JAX

"Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
> There is a procedure to rename the system drive, but Microsoft doesn't
> recommend it (even though there's an article in the KB).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188&Product=winxp

> Mike D.
>
> "Sid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
> > my hard drive. ugh!.
> > We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
> > running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
> > to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
> > operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
> > It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
> > carrying the operating system.
> > Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
> > normal and have the op sys on C:\

Just a thought, but you could always try Partition Magic which has the
ability to rename drives/partitions and fix all links within the OS to
point to the drive. Only problem is that software costs $$$

Nathan McNulty