Operating System Help!

xRiseAgainst

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
If I have Windows XP on an old laptop, would I be able to transfer it onto my new computer that I'm building? And if I am, would I then be able to upgrade that Windows XP to Windows 8? I'll be using an ASRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard, thanks!

Solution

Short answer probably not . Long answer their are usually two types of OS OEM and Normal. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) is a edition that microsoft sell cheaper to companies and the public it works like any other windows but it ties the OS to one type of motherboard. I would say practically all computers sold by big companies use this edition so its unlikely you could transfer. Look on the sticker (Usually on the side of the comp ) and it should say its edition if its not OEM you...

The_Doctor

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Short answer probably not . Long answer their are usually two types of OS OEM and Normal. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) is a edition that microsoft sell cheaper to companies and the public it works like any other windows but it ties the OS to one type of motherboard. I would say practically all computers sold by big companies use this edition so its unlikely you could transfer. Look on the sticker (Usually on the side of the comp ) and it should say its edition if its not OEM you should be able to use it on your new comp.
Alternately follow this gude from Micro$oft
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Version Identification

Windows may have been preinstalled on your computer. These installations are referred to as OEM installations.

To determine whether you have an OEM installation of Windows, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
Click the General tab.
Locate the number that is displayed under Registered to.

This number typically contains 20 digits. If digits 6, 7, and 8 contain the letters "OEM", you have an OEM installation of Windows.

For example, the following sample Product ID number indicates an OEM installation:
12345-OEM-6789098-76543

The Doctor

Solution