operating system problem

martaustin

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.press ctrl+alt+del to restart ,has anyone any ideas on how to fix this , all was running fine until I restarted my laptop

Solution
Either your OS boot sector has been corrupted or your HDD has failed completely. Please provide a laptop make/model. Some models have the HDD right under the case and they can be checked by listening to them during initial boot. If the HDD makes weird noises it means it's broken and unrecoverable.

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Either your OS boot sector has been corrupted or your HDD has failed completely. Please provide a laptop make/model. Some models have the HDD right under the case and they can be checked by listening to them during initial boot. If the HDD makes weird noises it means it's broken and unrecoverable.

Solution

martaustin

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

Hi my laptop is a acer aspire E1-531 I've had it less than a year but that was second hand

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Acer aspires all have their HDD under the back cover. It's usually 1-2 screws. Open it and power up your system. If you hear grazing, beeping, beating or anything else from the HDD other than the spin-up sound then it's dead.
Also be very careful when buying second hands since dealers always use refurbished HDD's which have a life span of 1-2 years tops.

martaustin

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

Thanks I'LL try that