Operating system support

shakeel1

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
So I installed windows 10 on my laptop however when i turn off legacy support and restart, it says o.s not found.
What do I do?

Solution
if you installed windows 10 with bios mode set to uefi, you need to enable and keep uefi enabled always

if you want to keep uefi disabled and work in legacy, you need to reinstall windows on that mode

be sure to format the partitions again, but first make backups if you haven't done backups already, installing a operating system without backups is a bad idea

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you installed windows 10 with bios mode set to uefi, you need to enable and keep uefi enabled always

if you want to keep uefi disabled and work in legacy, you need to reinstall windows on that mode

be sure to format the partitions again, but first make backups if you haven't done backups already, installing a operating system without backups is a bad idea

Solution

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
uefi helps in boot speed and other details, i hate uefi, when i can disable it i do it

it is not really friendly with linux which i use all days

legacy is the old bios technology, which works perfectly fine for most people

if you disabled uefi bios after you installed windows 10, reenable it and keep using it

if you installed windows 10 with uefi disabled, keep it disabled

Legacy loading a bunch of the hardware to 'validate' before asking "Is there a OS to load? " and then handing off to the Operating System you have installed all it learned about the computer.

UEFI though allows a GUI (mouse oriented) approach to operating the hardware AND allowing the OS to also 'manage' the hardware without needing to 'reboot' and access the 'BIOS" for each change you want on the system. It passes the whole 'hardware is wha?" part up and lets the OS handle the job.

It definitely speeds up the boot time and should NEVER be messed with unless you know what your doing for a specific reason.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
when using windows 8 and if the mainboard is cooperative, i leave uefi on and secure boot on too, to gain speed

but i don't install windows 8 anymore, only 10 or 7 if the pc has the license

if you already have files on it, leave it in the state it used to boot, keep it likt that

you won't gain anything with any change after the os is installed, leave it as it is

if you really need to reinstal, do backups first, before doing any instalaltion

find any livecd to take files out of the hard disk, when you have backups secure outside the machine and the hard disk it has

If you installed Windows 10 on that laptop, just go to the Windows.com website, and follow the parts telling you how to download and setup a Windows 10 Install USB. Then just boot off the USB and your set, as Windows 8-10 both uploaded the information about your hardware and 'registered' on the Microsoft Servers that license, so as soon as Windows 10 contacts the servers it sees the license for your hardware automatically.