Opine about Sony's CPD-G520

G

After checking the market and comparing 21-inch monitors, I'm seriously considering an investment in the Sony CPD-G520. Before I write the check, thought I'd stop in and get y'all's opinion. What are overall thoughts on this monitor? Would you recommend?

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No matter what monitor you are interested in it is always a good idea to call and e-mail the technical support line of the manufacturer and reseller before you buy. First time how long it takes you to reach a human or an e-mail response and then ask them some questions about the monitor you are considering. You don’t want to sit on hold; you want to talk to knowledgeable people. They aren't trained to "polish" the answers like sales reps might, but you'll get a sense for how technically competent and knowledgeable they are and how the company will treat you after the purchase should you need them.

Good Luck

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / MOnitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
I posted this a week or so ago. The only thing I would add would be to make sure that if you're going to have it shipped - insure it. I've been told shipping monitors is one of the biggest reasons why new ones go hay-wire. I hope it helps:

For starters, the screen is perfectly flat: horizontally and vertically. Actually, it took a little getting used to cause I'm so used to a horizontal curve...

The picture is very crisp - watching a DVD with this monitor reminds me of HDTV. As for gaming, which I do a fair amount of, when I look at other people's monitors, I'm reminded about how nice my is.

I have 3 Sony monitors, two 21's and a 19 and each one has been a rock solid joy. My only gripe on the new 21' is the display control - I believe they changed this in later models. It used a little rocker that controlled everything - to select something, you push up. I really prefer multiple buttons.

My first 21" I bought 5 years ago and paid 1.4k for it. It's not as nice as the newer one (only because it still has slight horizontal bend) but the picture quality is still outstanding (that's pretty good since I've moved 6 times since I bought it...)

Once thing I use to determine what separates one monitor from another is how sharp images are in the corners. The corners are furthest away from the electron gun and thus are more likely to a little blurry in lower quality monitors. A good way to test this is to bring up a text doc full misc. text and look for distortions. My monitor at work is pretty bad and this little "feature" drives me nuts.

I bought the new 21" cause of the price - you can't beat 700 delivered for this good of a monitor. I've never had any issues with any of 'em and recommend them at a drop of a dime.

If you're really going for the gusto, I would look around and see if you can find a demo of Sony's 24". It sells for about 1.7k

Your monitor is the one thing you're never gonna upgrade. It's the eyes to your computer. The better monitor you have, the more enjoyable your computing will be.

skane

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2002
I am very happy with my G520. Using the maximum visible area at 1280x1024, it has excellent vertical and horizontal geometry, sharp focus, brightness and contrast across the *entire* screen. Out of my three monitors (Mits 2020u, Sony FW900, and G520), my G520 has the best overall picture quality.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I am very happy with my G520. Using the maximum visible area at 1280x1024
Hmmm, are you blind? I am almost blind and use 1280x1024 on a 17" and 1600x1200 on a 19". I guess on a 21" 1280x1024 would look like a powerpoint presentation and I could read it from six feet away.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I think 1280 is a good resolution for 19" but a good 21" should display 1600 well. I think a 21" is wasted using a lower res unless you sit over 2 feet away from the thing.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
dont like trinitron CRT & their horizontal black line(s) default.

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Your g520 or any good 21" should do 1600X1200 recommended and max out at 2048! My cpd e540 (next lower model) did poorly at 1600X1200 so I wouldn't be suprised you could only get acceptable 1280. Maybe the "max" your talking about is that allowed by your vid card and consequently displayed in your display properties. Check it out to make sure you're monitor is okay. It could also be you installed the wrong monitor in windows, thereby artificially limiting the rez. Anyways, somethings fishy.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Do really think the gdm fw900 is worse than a measly g520? I would guess so too as it's only greatness is in it's wide aspect. The gdm f520 looks like the best of all 21" (along with competition form dp2060u and eizo flexcan980). How about the mitsu? What specifically is weaker about it than g520? Don't know if the 2020 is comparable to the top of the line dp2060u, but the dp2060u follows the gdm f520 as the best 21" crt according to displaymate (calibration software standard).

Phew, I'm glad I didn't get the gdm fw900. I think it's wise to wait until it's monopoly on widescreen crts is broken.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
If money is no object, get the gdm 520 if you like trinitron (lines) or the eizo flexscan980 if like shadow masks. I hear mitsu dp2060u is also good and about half the cost as the above two.

Just for your info I've had good and bad experience with sony. First 17" monitor is still going strong. My second purchase of 21" e540 (model below g520) was great except for white shadows on the right of every vertical line and very slight fuzzyness at 1600X1200. I was going to get the g520 hoping it was a better, but I'm opting for mitsu dp2060u for fear of gettig another bad sony. Luckily the "tech" expert at my local retailer thought my cpd e540 was defective and accepted the return. I messed with the landing which probably convinced him (expert as he is) that it was defective. He did not mention the shadowing (very slight but exceedingly annoying).