Opinion: BioShock Infinite is Groundbreaking, But Not Perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I think i'm the only critic that gave the game a 8.3 for the same reasons you wrote about. I still stand by that rating. If the writer is interested search my review on youtube, my channel is likeanddislikes.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Well, find me a story that hasn't been told...thus mentioning it in that context in this opinion piece seems rather pointless. It's a compelling and well told story and done so in a manner and in a medium I've not seen. As a matter of fact, I'll say it is an original story even if the concept is typical sci-fi.
I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10.
I did find other, more real issues.
I opened a cabinet and became locked in place, had to quite and resume.
The vigors, while adding variety to the combat were neat but rather unnecessary, I rarely used them, and why would every person you come across not be using them since they seemed so openly available?
Limiting you to two weapons didn't add any realism or strategy in my opinion and there for was just unnecessarily limiting.
The race issue in the game, while probably an attempt at period accuracy didn't really seem to be a relevant part of the story and just seamed force to the forefront for no real reason.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
*Recalls watching some of my classmates dicussing plans of buying the newest CoD, at the full price of $60, or the "special editions"*

-Meanwhile in Activision:

"Dude. We earned like $1 billion in 15 days and got a bunch of high ratings. Why change the formula?"

Opinions and ratings are highly subjective, but this game in my opinion is a 9.0- 9.5 range. There are a few minor things in the game that could have had improvement too.

I am not one to criticize an author or their article, but...

You spent most of the time saying how amazing this game was, then you had second thoughts of it deserving the 9s or 10's because it had one of the best story lines out of video games you've ever experience? Most of the article felt a complaint hidden in regurgitated praise.

As I said though opinions are subjective.

Kafkar

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
The game deserves maybe 4 out of 10 for the "music". The only songs played were oldies and couple of pop culture references. Where is combat music?? A continuous rhythm throughout the game!
And the biggest strength is the plot! Even with some holes, it is better than 99% of games out there. Still, I would call the game no more than 8 out of 10.

AzureFlash

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
You spend the entire article talking about the story and just brush off every other aspect as secondary. Aren't you weighing story a bit too much for a video game? What about gameplay, depth of content, controls, difficulty balance, art, music, voice acting?

Any review that focuses on only one aspect of a game is garbage. Case in point: all the reviews gushing about Dear Esther's visuals and story when there is literally NOTHING ELSE. Maybe you should go play that instead, Catherine?

ibn gozzy

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
First off, I have not played the game....yet. It is true that most of which you write is praise for the game backed up with several examples. However, I think that your negative criticism is solely based on being "not original". As ibjeepr points out, it is difficult to find a unique story. I think that it is an achievement in itself to make such a great story-telling of a tale that already has been told. To me, that still seems meritus. Anyway, downloading it now..........

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Is the PC version as DRM to hell as the previous BioShocks? I never played BioShock because of SecuROM7 and whatnot that EA loves shoving up our computer's butt.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I did find the gunplay a bit simple, the big guys were the only challenge and that became a match of run away, turn, keep shooting until dead. I didn't realize how close I was to the end of the game and ended up not spending any of my money (well apart from some ammo and health kits, no major upgrades though) and yet still it was very easy to get through. I also barely found any vigors,I just had 2 or 3 while there are I think 20 somewhere in the game. With all 20 I imagine it would be a cakewalk. The final battle I failed a few times but once I realized that there is no consequence for you dying I won pretty easily by not worrying about health, plus Elizabeth would usually throw a health thing when you got too low.

It was also kind of funny because during the parts she's mad at you, she'd say something like "I dont' trust you Mr Dewitt" in a grumpy tone, and then the next second you'd need a lock picked and she'd be all "SURE THING MR DEWITT I'D LOVE TO".

There was also a bit of the back-and-forthing that people hate in games towards the middle, but the story never got boring for me.

But all that doesn't really bother me, because I played Infinite for the incrediballs story and the wonderful expressive characters as you said. I really did care about Elizabeth and Booker by the end and was satisfied at the bittersweet resolution. What makes me sad is that people dismiss games as a storytelling mechanism, but this story would easily rival Hollywood movies or many books. It comes together in a very satisfying way at the end, it was as satisfying as Bioshock 1 with even more mind bending-ness.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
It's an awesome game, but it doesn't FEEL like a Bioshock game. They should have just change some things around and titled it differently. I'm currently watching a Let's Play of the game and it's nothing like the original Bioshocks, which is sad as I loved them both.

I'd still buy Infinite, but at a discount, it's not worth the $60 in my eyes and shouldn't have been named "Bioshock" at all.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Is the PC version as DRM to hell as the previous BioShocks? I never played BioShock because of SecuROM7 and whatnot that EA loves shoving up our computer's butt.[/citation]

It's published by 2K, as the other games, not EA. Stop foaming at the mouth, you sound ignorant.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]Kafkar[/nom]The game deserves maybe 4 out of 10 for the "music". The only songs played were oldies and couple of pop culture references. Where is combat music?? A continuous rhythm throughout the game!And the biggest strength is the plot! Even with some holes, it is better than 99% of games out there. Still, I would call the game no more than 8 out of 10.[/citation]
You're kidding right? The game is set in 1912 and the tune of the music is as such. Its part of what game devs do to setup the environment. IMO Playing combat music would only ruin such an important part of the game.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I am about done with the game...so far I like it. Its a good game. It is mindless and not at the same time. If it had a skyrim open world and the story to tell in ways that involved real choice then you got something .

It lacks re-play-ability. Leveling is rather pointless. And I am at the point where I want to take the game to easy just to get what I want from the game: the story.

I never thought I'd say this, but Tomb Raider is "funner" than Bio.

I also don't like the heard mentality about the hype of this game. I am w/ Angry Joe on this one:
http://angryjoeshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/BioshockInfinite_09_SITE.jpg

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Why is everyone considering this a technical marvel? (Serious question) I kinda rage-quit after the first hour of gameplay.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
It's strange. It's on this site that i read Don's praises for BlOps 2 and Medal of Duty: Warface, but apparently Infinite has an unoriginal story. Nice.

But i guess as people said above, opinions are subjective Catherine!=Don.

[citation][nom]pliskin1[/nom]Why is everyone considering this a technical marvel? (Serious question) I kinda rage-quit after the first hour of gameplay.[/citation]
Artwork, AI, Elizabeth, etc. i think. Haven't played yet. Though you might want to look at gaming sites for that.

Like Rock, Paper Shotgun, PC Gamer, Polygon, Eurogamer, etc.

Interesting story related articles:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/25/bioshock-infinite-pc-review/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/26/bioshock-infinite-mysteries/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/04/bioshock-infinite-wizard-of-oz/

And tweaking related:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/27/bioshock-infinite-tweaks/

Have fun reading.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]pliskin1[/nom]Why is everyone considering this a technical marvel? (Serious question) I kinda rage-quit after the first hour of gameplay.[/citation]

Because ACM's and CoD's storytelling is meh, which is probably a severe understatement.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]if something is immensely popular, or regarded widely as a success, there are sure to be haters. i'm just saying. not a bad thing. just saying.[/citation]

Whoa whoa whoa whoa! You mean it's not cool and edgy to troll things that are popular, thereby making me ironically cool in the process?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]It's an awesome game, but it doesn't FEEL like a Bioshock game. They should have just change some things around and titled it differently. I'm currently watching a Let's Play of the game and it's nothing like the original Bioshocks, which is sad as I loved them both.I'd still buy Infinite, but at a discount, it's not worth the $60 in my eyes and shouldn't have been named "Bioshock" at all.[/citation]
$40 for the Steam Code from ozgameshop.com.
The game though, certainly does not merit a 9/10 or higher score as most reviews seem to be dishing out. Sure, the story is better than average, but the visuals are just blocky and boring (no surprise as the game is using a 5-6 year old engine) and the soundtrack is a perfect example of something that while totally being suitable for the portrayed world is not suitable for an action game as it ads absolutely nothing to the experience, no tension, excitement, or relief.
The use of vigors comes across as an unnecessary bolt-on thing, perhaps to let the game claim its 'bioshock' link but thats all, and olny being able to carry 2 weapons seems a frustrating device to increase the difficulty and extend the horribly short play time.
I'd give it a solid 6/10, perhaps 7/10 based on the price compared to all the dross out there (you listening EA?) demanding $50-$70.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Looks very good, but I think it's probably still not AS good as System Shock 2 was in it's day. And I can't say I enjoy the idea of mutilating enemies with that hook thing. It's macabre. Totally gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.