Question Opinion: Is this Pre Built PC a good Price?

Jun 2, 2019
I've been looking to get on the High End gaming scene for a while, I have a PC but it's rather outdated for High End Games now. I bought what I feel is a good priced High End Gaming PC from Scan.co.uk that not only is high end but could be improved further down the line. I need honest opinions on whether I made a good choice in the long run.

Firstly the Specs of the new PC:

CPU: Intel i5 9400F 2.9GHZ Six Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHZ)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB BLACK EDITION
Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel H310-S2H
SSD: 240GB WD Green M.2
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: VS550 550w FWire 80+ PSU
RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

And the FREE extras I got for it:
Free Year Premium Bull Guard Antivirus
Scan.co.uk Baseball Cap
Wolfenstein Youngblood Download Code

I paid £921.00 for this new prebuilt PC by 3XS Systems, very good company apparently. I will be delivered tomorrow.

Just for comparison, here is my current PC specs:

CPU: AMD A10-7800 Quad Core (3.5GHZ)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
Motherboard: ASUS A68HM-K
SSD: None
HDD: 1TB WD Hard Drive
PSU: Coolermaster 400W PSU
RAM: 2x 4GB
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

As you can see, it IS a massive upgrade but what is want to know is is the price good for this new Pre Built PC? And would Ray Tracing be good performance wise?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Ah, OK. I don't intend to overclock anyway. My old PC has reached its limits so I can't upgrade it anymore. PC Part Check says the build is worth around £750. Where I live however, all the prices seem to be around £1000. Could the RTX handle ray tracing with the i5 9400f?

Last edited:

thepixie

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I've just dumped all the parts in an amazon basket, with a cooler master case at 37 quid. Came to £764.59, even with Windows 10 (but you might need to pinch a dvd drive to burn it to usb - or if you're just after the license don't bother. Amazon returns is an absolute breeze. Any reason you didn't want to build it?

My big issue is that PSU, it’s poor quality, as soon as your warranty with Scan ends I would upgrade that psu as it is a liability.

I also would have stretched to 2x8gb RAM. 16gb is recommended for many modern games and 8gb is the bare minimum. From here the best upgrade path requires buying a 2x8gb kit as adding RAM to what you already have is not guaranteed to work without issues.

Why not build yourself? Scan do (or used to do) a really cheap insurance that covered accidents so as a novice builder you would be covered even if you made a big mistake and it would still be cheaper than pre built.

Jun 2, 2019
I am paying it off via Paypal Credit and I want to do it in 4 months so I don’t have to pay interest. I have enough to pay off half of the total cost of the loan and will get the rest over the 4 months.

As for building, I bought a computer a few months back that turned out to be a dud and I spent 2 months pursuing the seller to get my money back which I eventually did (thanks to paypal). I’m very skeptical now when I buy PCs and I don’t feel comfortable building a PC (except RAM, that's simple).

RAM isn’t too expensive so that can wait and I have a external CD/DVD Drive already. I would take the RAM from my old PC but it's a DDR3 so it won't work.

Compared to my current PC, this one beats it hands down.

Last edited: