Opinion my PC build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: up to 1450 before rebates, may go slightly over if needed

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Watching Videos, Internet, MS office ect.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Complete PC
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg, or cheaper sites)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1080)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: last around 5 years for gaming

Currently have:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

IN WIN Ironclad Black SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers

X4 955 + 5850 ASUS OC'ed

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - AM3 - AMD 890FX - DDR3 - Republic of Gamers - ATX Motherboard

Totals about $1250

Solution
For the PSU, stick to Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic and Silverstone to make sure you get a good unit. There are some others that are decent out there, but these are generally the cheapest quality units.

As for that board, I don't really know a whole lot about that specific unit. I do usually try to avoid ASRock because they're a budget manufacturer. I tend to stick to Gigabyte and Asus to ensure quality. Generally, the cheapest X58 board I recommend is the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R for around $210.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I don't need specifics about that particular motherboard but whether usb 3.0 and sata3 is worth spending a bit more.

Alright, I'm currently weighing these two right now, I'll stick with the budget motherboard as it seems just fine to me.

i7 930 - $200
ASRock Motherboard $190

or go amd using a X4 965
X4 965BE: $182
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.383388

still deciding on a motherboard for this, but may range $130-$160ish.
I've also found what looks like a really nice high performance motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644&Tpk=13-131-644

I've poured though reviews and I don't see much disparity between the 965 and the i7 930 at higher resolutions for gaming so I may lean toward the amd build.

should I start another thread since this isn't anymore about cyberpower, or just rename the title and edit the 1st post?

USB 3/SATA III is a toss up. You'd save $20-30 by getting a board without it, but you will certainly need it later. If you don't get it onboard, you'd need to buy an expansion card to use the next devices, which will cost you about $20-30. So you don't really save anything by getting a non-USB 3/SATA III board.

There isn't a lot of difference between CPUs for gaming. The more important part is the GPU. So you should get a cheaper CPU if you can afford a bigger GPU.

I'm failing to see what's wrong with the build I suggested above. The 965 is just a factory overclocked 955 and charges you $20+ for it. Also, the board I linked to is a better choice than the Crosshair simply because it's $100 less and doesn't sacrifice anything.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
oh there's nothing wrong with it :D i'm just looking at all the possibilities.

The Asus motherboard looks very feature filled and I think will work better when I get another 5850 card later, but the one you suggest is a nice alternative. I want to get something that will last for awhile and it just caught my interests.

So the 965 is just a 955 overclocked, nothing worth looking at? I guess I'll take up the 955 then if thats the case

edit: yep, I think I will take the 955, they have a combo that suites me just fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.383389

The Asus motherboard still looks very appealing to me, as it can handle 2 cars at x16 with a load of other features

edit: I did come calculations and the total for a 955 build with the asus mobo is around $1250
I feel that I will be needing some better quality speakers for its built in sound card to work, any ideas? around $50 or lower would be best but can go higher

thanks for all your advice so far!

16x/16x doesn't really matter. It's a 4% performance gain over 8x/8x, and the cost is typically inflated by $50 for it. I should also point out that 4% gain is only noticeable when you use 5970s, which is just excessive.

As far the "other" features the Crosshair has, they're not really worth anything. The board can take RAM up to 2000 mhz, but anything over 1600 mhz is a waste of money. Even if you overclock everything to the maximum level and still have it stable, you don't get anywhere near that speed. The 890 chipset is nice, but all it really gives you is the ability to drop a X6 CPU in the build without a BIOS update. You won't need a six core CPU for a long, long time (like the life of the build), and any AM3 board could use a six core CPU, you just need to update the BIOS. The only other thing that's really different is the onboard audio, which the standard onboard sound is already so good that you really can't tell the difference even against $100 sound cards.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I'm still deciding between PSUsand I'll look into both types of motherboards, a friend has a surround sound system that's a few years old that that he doesn't need (didn't mention model), factoring that in, the inclusion of a sound card worth it?

I think I'm pretty happy with the rest of my build, except for the shipping costs of some T.T. Know anywhere else thats cheaper than newegg? I'm around the marietta, GA area if that helps.

If there are a few alternatives better for the please keep suggesting them.

Edit: also do all my parts match up correctly and will I have everything I need to build a computer? (maybe should get some cable managment for my case too)

A sound card is not really worth it. Like I said, onboard sound is very, very good. I would at least see what it sounds like and if you can actually tell that it's not the best, buy a sound card to stick in it later.

That build is not compatible. You choose the i7-930 and an LGA1156 board. The CPU doesn't fit that board. Also, the RAM is dual channel, which matches the board, but not the CPU. After that, you got an extremely poor quality board.

Frankly, I would go with the build I posted above. Or since you might be near a Microcenter (you can't order from them online), grab a cheap i5-750 and an Asus P7P55D-E Pro.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
So are you suggesting I go with intel or amd?
As I've mentioned, this system won't be updated until around 5 years later (unless I really have to), primary for gaming
I've read many cpu reviews but still deciding which one is best for my targeted time frame.

I'm leaning torwards amd atm as they seem to have nice combos that do save me a bundle
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.384192
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.383389

Current Config for amd is
IN WIN Ironclad Black SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Sony Optical Black 24X DVD

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers

X4 955 + 5850 ASUS OC'ed (they have the non oc one 20 dollars cheaper but the combo is -30 so I save 10 bucks

Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

ASUS M4A Pro + Coolmaster 212

Totals around $1208
reasonable?

I am near a microcenter so that would not be a problem. Only factor is that after tax, some of the parts(not the i5) are more expensive than newegg, which may be worth it depending on how newegg ships it. I've read some reviews describing how UPS isn't exactly the most reliable way to go.

Since I haven't bought anything that really needed it on newegg till now, when should I spend the extra 10 or so dollars for protective shipping?

btw I'm ordering the monitor either this sun or sat(deal expires then), but can wait till the 1st of june to purchase some of the other parts if that changes anything.

Either is fine. The benefit of AMD right now is the cheaper prices and better future proofing as Intel is getting ready to move to a new socket. That said, if you get the i5 or i7, you won't need to upgrade in the five years or so.

Those are a couple of good combos, but keep in mind that the X4 955 performs a little worse compared to the i5. Since you're near a Microcenter, I would recommend checking out their i5 and board deals, as they tend to be a lot cheaper. Go in with a few specific boards in mind to compare the price to Newegg. I would buy everything else off newegg though.

I have never had a problem with Newegg shipping (or UPS for that matter), so I don't think the shipping insurance is worth it.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I updated my last post with what I'm currently using for my amd config, which is what i think I will be going with

Apart from these what are the other supplies I need or should have when I build a computer? I know I need some screwdrivers and the wrist-strap, anything else?

edit: I can't seem to find their combo deals for the i5, only see the link for parts that are "important addons"

You don't need an anti-static wrist band. Just make sure you ground yourself before you touch anything. I don't think you'll need anything besides what's listed.

About the only thing I would change is the RAM. Get either the Ripjaws I linked to above or these G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $115. These will both be faster than the sticks you choose, with the first set being better for overclocking.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I know i'm nitpicking over a few dollars here but what exactly is the benefit of lower cas latency and timing + higher frequency? I know that its faster but what does that affect?

You don't need any other tools to install?

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
alright looks like I'm set. I'll get the second set as I really don't need to overclock my ram.

I noticed that the 890 motherboard has a built in integrated HD4290. anything I can do with it or does it just take up space?

I also noticed that my motherboard has a set of x16 dedicated to usb 3.0, not sure if it will come off but I may be able to get a dual x16 when I crossfire :D

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
The integrated graphics doesn't take up space, it's within the chips on the board itself. All of the 890 non-enthusiast boards have integrated graphics, so there isn't really an option to get a board of the same generation without spending more money.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I'm not familiar with running on more than one screen, does this potential two screen setup mean I can have two screens display a game without any loss in framerate? I'd have to get an insanely long hdmi cable to reach my tv but it would be neat when doing a lan party.
but other than that. nothing much I can use it for eh?

Also I'm not sure how the hdmi capabilities work for a pc. does only the graphics card need to support it or does both the motherboard and the graphics card need to have it?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
No, the integrated graphics would not be used to display the game. It could be used for a separate display, and really, integrated graphics isn't good for much more than browser-based flash games.

However, the 5850 you have selected can support up to 3 screens on its own, but obviously the frame rate will suffer. This is called Eyefinity, an AMD technology that allows you to game on up to 3 (or up to 6 with certain cards) screens as one view.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by MadAdmiral, as per usual.

No. You can run something on two screens, but you will lose the framerate. A LOT of framerate actually. It's basically just running the game at a higher resolution. If you have two 1920x1080 monitors, when you use a single one, you'd have a resolution of 1920x1080. If you had two, it would be 3840x1080.

Either way, onboard graphics won't be enough to play games. The monitor you could run off it could be used for watching movies or displaying the desktop or other minor tasks.

That said, the 5xxx series cards can support up to 3 monitors (some of them can do six), so you could play some games on what is essentially a single massive monitor. It's called Eyefinity. You will lose a lot of FPS and in most cases it isn't really feasible or advisable.

It depends on what output your using. You'll want to use the GPU output, in which case, the GPU's outputs detemine what connection type you use. If you were using onboard graphics, the motherboards output would determine it. That's why you can run a single monitor off the board and then a different monitor (or several different ones ala Eyefinity) off the GPU.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
ah so that's why motherboards sometimes feature hdmi support, it only uses an IGP for it.
thanks for answering my questions, I'll be buying my parts this weekend. I take it there's no point in waiting till the end of the month?

edit: if I plan to overclock is my cooling alright, no need for better thermal paste/case fans? It gets pretty hot here in Georgia in the summer but I don't plan to go too extreme.

If you've got time, I would watch the deals. Check the combos and daily deals for good prices, but I wouldn't expect anything to really shake up prices right now.

You're fine if you want to OC. The Hyper 212 is one of the best HSF out there. Aftermarket thermal paste is unnecessary unless you plan on trying to get an extremely massive overclock. Extra case fans are pretty much always unnecessary.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Great! thanks for your help! Looks like I'm all set then.

I'll continue to look for better deals but if you see anything that's a great deal let me know. If you see better but about the same priced components like the ram, I'll consider those as well

I still need a mouse as mine is about 2-4 years old and batteries are getting worn out and the charging connect is wearing out.
My old mouse was a logitec mx laser M-RAG97 and it'll be nice to have the same weight as I'm used to it but otherwise no biggie.

If there is a nice keyboard with a palm rest, I'll consider those two. Max budget for them is around $75 with priority on the mouse.

The problem with suggesting keyboards and mice is that everyone is different. What I may like best might be extremely uncomfortable for you. I'd suggest going into a parts store (Staples or Best Buy would do) and trying out some mice. Then either buy them in store or find the same models online.