Opinion my PC build

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: up to 1450 before rebates, may go slightly over if needed

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Watching Videos, Internet, MS office ect.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Complete PC
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg, or cheaper sites)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1080)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: last around 5 years for gaming

Currently have:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

IN WIN Ironclad Black SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers

X4 955 + 5850 ASUS OC'ed

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - AM3 - AMD 890FX - DDR3 - Republic of Gamers - ATX Motherboard

Totals about $1250

Solution
The building guide sticky at the top of the forum is a really good one. It's kept fairly up to date so it shows you a lot of what to expect. I would also take a look at the troubleshooting sticky (link's in my signature) just so you have an idea of what to try if it doesn't work right away.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Placed my order today, shouldn't ordered sooner lol, the F3 drive rose to $90 xD.
But it isn't a total lost, got some nice fatality earphones for only $34...

I'm thinking of going to microcenter to pick up on of those microsoft natural mouses, tried on out at walmart and boy does that thing feel nice.

Funny thing happened today though...spilled coffee on my keyboard -.-...fml 70 bucks worth of keyboard....lol guess that means I'll be checking those out too. :(

edit: also do you know the kind of screwdrivers I need? I have a standard toolset, nothing fancy.

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
hmm, yeah I was looking over that, but it seems a lil too pricey for the features it offers. It does have to specifically made for gaming, but just so that it works well when doing so.

thinking about getting this:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0231156
cheap but from what I reviewed on newegg suitable for both gaming and normal use.

edit: I just noticed that when I ordered my shipping phone number isn't the same as the one on my credit card. (home has two separate phone number)
will this affect me much?