Opinion needed on stress testing new gaming pc

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I've chosen parts for my gaming pc based on suggestions here, thanks to all of them who helped me.

I've contacted the store in my city. The prices were slightly higher there but I went okay with it, since it's the only store where everything is available and they would build it for free.

But they are saying they won't give the pc on the same day. They said they will assemble and stress test it and benchmark it and then will give it on the 3rd day.
Is this all really mandatory for a new pc or can we skip it?

I asked them about skipping the tests and just deliver the same day, but they won't accept.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Seems good service to me if they're honest and willing to test the pc before handing it over, but how would you know what was done to verify stability? Make sure to ask questions.

In their defence it's helping you as much as helping them, this way they know it's working before giving it to you.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Besides, it's not just a store but a gaming centre for playing hourly basis. The only thing I'm doubtful about is how would i know whether they installed brand new parts or not, if they take payment first and deliver after 3 days ? I'm just doubtful, may be it won't happen but who knows.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018

Could you please help me with some of such questions? Like what you would ask them in such situation.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Ask what they tested and if evolves (might have to directly ask these three) memory cpu and gpu tests came back good and temperatures are fine. Obviously not going to know for sure what tests they used so no harm asking them and jot down programs they used. Probably will be just benchmarking programs they used you can also download yourself for free, just catch the name of it and search.

Imo you probably already know it, should have attempted to build it yourself. I know it looks taunting and technical but really its not. Just screws and plugs and manuals/instructions. By the end of it you'll either succeed first hand or have a hard time like the rest of us went through once upon a time. But doing it yourself you learn and even though theres hairs torn out and teeth missing from angry fits (exaggerated ;P) you'll begin to know whats what in your PC in case something goes wrong you'll have a fair idea what to do.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018

Hi Archit,
these are the components(excluding ssd, which I already have):

Processor- Ryzen 5 2600X upto 4.2Ghz (6 Cores)
MotherBoard - MSI - B450 A Pro
RAM - Corsair - Vengeance 8 GB 3000 Mhz DDR4
Case - CM Masterlite 5 RGB
GPU - Gigabyte - GTX 1060 Aorus 6GB
SMPS - Corsair - CX550 (550W)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1 TB @ 7200 RPM

Total cost quoted was - Rs.89,028

Is that RAM Single Channel or dual channel?
It is a fair build; the PSU can be better but for the system it will be good enough.

Check if the RAM is single or dual channel, and ask what was the name of the test they conducted and how they did it. I do not know of what else to ask as most of my PC's are self built, so I usually run them through Furmark or Unigine Heaven, and Memtest for the Memory.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018

It is a single RAM which I have chosen for now. As the budget won't permit, I've chosen that, and after 2 or 3 months will buy another 8GB same RAM and it should be fine I thought.

If it is a fair build, is there anything I can do to make it better? Keeping costs around 90k (excluding this single/dual RAM part)? Perhaps a better motherboard or smps or something. (I won't be overclocking anyway)
I would really appreciate your help.

When you want 16 gigs RAM later on, sell off your current stick and buy a 16 gigs kit as it is always better to buy RAM in kits.

To be better, maybe a better PSU. The rest of the build is very balanced.