Opinion on a Barebone kit from Tigerdirect / CompUSA.

You can do significantly better. That 12GB of ram wont help at all and will just cost you $200 extra, right now newegg has some pretty good sales going, the Antec 900 has a $40 MIR. I would suggest this instead
Corsair 750TX $108 - $20MIR
OCZ Platinum $159 - $10MIR
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $85
Antec 900 $100 - $10MIR
i7 920 $289
ASUS P6T $240

Comes out to $971 before $70 MIR, those savings could go towards a much nicer GPU or monitor and it will perform just as well in gaming, probably better if you spring for a better GPU.

Sylantis

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Oh, I already have a Radeon 5770 laying around I can use for the new build -- but curious, why won't the 16 gigs of RAM help at all?

Most applications are 32 bit, so at the very most they could use 4GB of ram per application. Now unless you plan on running multiple games at a time or run multiple adobe applications at a time you wont make use of more than 6GB of ram, hell i do run multiple adobe apps at a time and i rarely make full use of my 4GB of ram.

Take a look at this review for some hard results, linked to the conclusion for the summary but read through the whole thing if you want to see the evidence yourself
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264-8.html