[SOLVED] Opinion on an upgrade from Ryzen to Intel

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
Hey guys

I plan on upgrading my 2600x to an Intel one as I'm not getting enough frames in Valorant and I'm playing it competitively so I do need the extra frames in every second.

My question is would this upgrade be compatible and reasonable for my budget? Also I have 1070, 650W PSU and 3200Mhz 16GB RAM.

The upgrade I intend to do:

Ryzen 2600X & Stock Cooler
B350M

To:

i5-10600 with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 White LED Turbo Cooler
GIGABYTE Z490M

Basically the new build will be:

i5-10600 & CoolerMaster Hyper 212 White LED Turbo Cooler
GTX 1070
GIGABYTE Z490M
16GB 3200Mhz
650W PSU

It all sums up to 510$ USD.

Solution
That’s what happens when you buy into the hype created by the fanboys and don’t buy the right cpu from the start. Anyway. Since you are in Israel, I am assuming you can order stuff from Europe online so I give you links from Amazon.de to compare with your local hardware shops. These prices contain sales tax/VAT of 16% and, as far as I know, due to COVID, both Israel and Germany currently have the same VAT/sales tax (16%).

Anyway, if I were to build something “enthusiast-grade” for me personally, I would go with the following build:
CPU: i7 10700K link (€370)
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z490-E link (€270)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 black link (€100)
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2x8GB)...

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
A i5-10600 (non-K even) just isn't enough of a performance increase to justify the cost. If you're serious about your competitive gaming, go with the i7-10700K (which is essentially an i9-9900K).

an 10700K would require a strong motherboard and cooling, would it not?
What would you suggest for a 500-550$ budget if I must get a CPU upgrade?
I think 10700 would do just fine?

an 10700K would require a strong motherboard and cooling, would it not?
What would you suggest for a 500-550$ budget if I must get a CPU upgrade?
I think 10700 would do just fine?
I don't see why your chosen Gigabyte Z490M couldn't be trusted to a 10700K.

Better coolers are always better. Are you looking to stay with air cooling, or AIO? (don't know what case you have)

Are you shopping in the USA? If not, where?

Last edited:

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
I don't see why your chosen Gigabyte Z490M couldn't be trusted to a 10700K.

Better coolers are always better. Are you looking to stay with air cooling, or AIO? (don't know what case you have)

Are you shopping in the USA? If not, where?

I shop in a hardware store in Israel called TMS. I'm afraid the Z490M just won't be strong enough for future upgrades (10900 for an instance).

If I do take 10700 (non-K, I don't see myself overclocking), should I take the Z490M and a strong cooler with it? If I don't intend overclocking, should I stick to the Z490M as well, or should I consider something else? I have an IPPON case, it's quite big but I don't think my budget could afford a liquid air cooling one.

Any Z490 motherboard will be "strong" enough.
The K suffix motherboards at stock will turbo higher than their non-K counterparts.
Plus, you will have the option to overclock a bit.
I think your plan is a good one, and go for the i5-10600K if the price differential is not great.
The main advantage of i7 or i9 is added threads.
But it is single thread clock speed that is what you want.

logainofhades

Titan
How are you not getting high frames, in a game that a potato can run? Make sure your current system is running as it should, before throwing money at something else. Make sure your temps are in check. Did you enable XMP, for your ram? Is it running in proper dual channel? 16gb should be in a 2x8 config, and should be in this configuration.

UB6JJIp.png

How old is the windows install? Is windows and your drivers up to date? What resolution are you playing at? Are you using an SSD? (Might not affect FPS, unless this is a title that accesses the storage drive a lot, but load times would be improved regardless.)

https://steelseries.com/blog/valorant-pc-system-requirements-187

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
How are you not getting high frames, in a game that a potato can run? Make sure your current system is running as it should, before throwing money at something else. Make sure your temps are in check. Did you enable XMP, for your ram? Is it running in proper dual channel? 16gb should be in a 2x8 config, and should be in this configuration.

UB6JJIp.png

How old is the windows install? Is windows and your drivers up to date? What resolution are you playing at? Are you using an SSD? (Might not affect FPS, unless this is a title that accesses the storage drive a lot, but load times would be improved regardless.)

https://steelseries.com/blog/valorant-pc-system-requirements-187

I have "high frames" but I'm playing competitively and 200-150 is not enough. It sometimes goes down to 120 and the screen stutters as I'm playing on 144Hz. I want to have 250-300 consistently.
I'm aware of any little thing that could boost my FPS up, my RAM sticks are dual channel as well.

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
Any Z490 motherboard will be "strong" enough.
The K suffix motherboards at stock will turbo higher than their non-K counterparts.
Plus, you will have the option to overclock a bit.
I think your plan is a good one, and go for the i5-10600K if the price differential is not great.
The main advantage of i7 or i9 is added threads.
But it is single thread clock speed that is what you want.

I think I'd go for the Z490M, 10700 and a strong cooler (non-liquid one). What do you think? Should I just get the 10700k? I'm scared from the temps tbh coming from 10700k

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A 2600X is no slouch. I would think that with a better cooling solution you should be able to get a good OC or XFR boost with it. My concern would be the B350 board you are using and it's VRM. Do a little looking to see on that aspect as the 2xxx series are pretty power hungry on their own.

I think I would exhaust OC efforts, even so much as turning off multi threading to see if you can get the clock as high as possible. As a side note the Hyper 212 would be a superior cooler over stock even with the 'zen. Nice cooler for the price.

Reactions: xivizor

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
No reason to be "afraid" of the 10700K. Is this a budgetary conundrum and you're just pawning it off as a temp concern?

Idk if it's true but I've been told it needs good cooling if I do intend to overclock. If I don't intend to overclock, should I still consider buying the K version, and would the Hyper 212 do a good job cooling the 10700k?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ Intel chips are not readily OC'able unless the K skew and on a Z board (perhaps others on that?). Ryzen/AMD opted to make almost the entire line unlocked as far as CPU and Mobo in spite of the fact that on many of the product line it's a mostly time wasting endeavor to try in light of the aforementioned stock frequency boost built into the 2xxx and beyond products.

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
^ Intel chips are not readily OC'able unless the K skew and on a Z board (perhaps others on that?). Ryzen/AMD opted to make almost the entire line unlocked as far as CPU and Mobo in spite of the fact that on many of the product line it's a mostly time wasting endeavor to try in light of the aforementioned stock frequency boost built into the 2xxx and beyond products.

If I am looking to make the switch to an i7-10700 (non-K), do you think Z490M and Hyper 212 would do just fine? And in terms of an investment (600$) from my current build (2600x, which is not rewarding in VALORANT in terms of frames ~150-220ish, I'm looking for a stable 250-300). I also have 3200Mhz 16GB RAM

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hey guys

I plan on upgrading my 2600x to an Intel one as I'm not getting enough frames in Valorant and I'm playing it competitively so I do need the extra frames in every second.

My question is would this upgrade be compatible and reasonable for my budget? Also I have 1070, 650W PSU and 3200Mhz 16GB RAM.

The upgrade I intend to do:

Ryzen 2600X & Stock Cooler
B350M

To:

i5-10600 with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 White LED Turbo Cooler
GIGABYTE Z490M

Basically the new build will be:

i5-10600 & CoolerMaster Hyper 212 White LED Turbo Cooler
GTX 1070
GIGABYTE Z490M
16GB 3200Mhz
650W PSU

It all sums up to 510$ USD.
Man your going in circles. I would put a 2700x in that board and call it a day. The 2700x has similar performance to a 9900k 9700k and 10700k in games. Your buying a i5 and that will screw you over and no OC either. Also no HTing. Your getting bunk to exchange the bunk you have and that doesn't make sense my friend. 🖐🙈🤷‍♀️

Your buying a i5 and that will screw you over and no OC either. Also no HTing.
10th gen i5 is 6c/12t
Also, Z490 will purportedly support 11th gen CPUs (FWIW). After that, both Intel and AMD will break socket compatibility since we'll be using DDR5 at that time. Not sure how that's worse than a AMD B350 board....

Hate on Intel all you want, but even with Ryzen 3000, Intel is still topping the charts in gaming benchmarks. With 10th gen, Intel has more-or-less "caught up" in the core race. And yes, they're using more power, but they're also achieving much higher frequencies than AMD. Frequency needs power.

I'm not an Intel or AMD fanboy. Both are corporations trying to maximize their profits and sell to their strengths. AMD can pack more cores on a chip because their design omits an IGP, simple. But they can't match Intel on frequency. Intel is obviously being hampered by their process node delays, and packing more cores on a chip design that also has space reserved for an IGP is difficult, but they are getting much higher clock speeds. With the gaming landscape today (multiplayer, streaming, etc) the "how many cores do you really need" line has blurred considerably, but how fast each core is is still easy to quantify in gaming performance.

Last edited:

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
Man your going in circles. I would put a 2700x in that board and call it a day. The 2700x has similar performance to a 9900k 9700k and 10700k in games. Your buying a i5 and that will screw you over and no OC either. Also no HTing. Your getting bunk to exchange the bunk you have and that doesn't make sense my friend. 🖐🙈🤷‍♀️

Ryzen isn't optimized well in VALORANT and I'm playing it competitively. Intel is superior in that case and in performance alone..

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Ryzen isn't optimized well in VALORANT and I'm playing it competitively. Intel is superior in that case and in performance alone..
Have you played Valorant on a 9900k or 9700k or 10700k? You say Intel is superier in this game so whatcha doing with a Ryzen which came out in 2018? You claim Intel is better then wouldn't you have just bought Intel. If your playing at 1080p then grab a gaming CPU like the 9700k. You won't have the extra threads but you don't need them unless you use pro grade applications which take advantage of HT or SMT and what not. If you do general desktop work and surf and watch videos and do basic stuff but then when you game you want the most FPS then grab the 9700k as it performs the same as a 9900k a 10700k and so on. Remember tho you get 8 cores 8 threads,, not 8 cores 16 threads. HTing is for Adobe apps and CAD and 3D Modeling or DAW etc. As I said if this is strictly a gaming CPU you want then the 9700k is the best bang fo your buck.🤷‍♀️🙈🖐☮💯

Consider this: A 10700K can be tuned to run exactly like a 10700. Therefore you can run the 10700K with the Hyper 212 (that you seemingly already own). If you want to play around with OCing later, then you can do so up to the limit of the Hyper 212, then, if more OCing is desired, more funds will probably be available for a cooler upgrade.

K-series CPUs have much better resale value also.

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
That’s what happens when you buy into the hype created by the fanboys and don’t buy the right cpu from the start. Anyway. Since you are in Israel, I am assuming you can order stuff from Europe online so I give you links from Amazon.de to compare with your local hardware shops. These prices contain sales tax/VAT of 16% and, as far as I know, due to COVID, both Israel and Germany currently have the same VAT/sales tax (16%).

Anyway, if I were to build something “enthusiast-grade” for me personally, I would go with the following build:
CPU: i7 10700K link (€370)
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z490-E link (€270)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 black link (€100)
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 4400MHz link (€135)

Total: €875 (incl. VAT) = 3,542.77 Israeli Shekels (incl. sales tax)

But if I were to cut corners to lower the cost as much as possible but still get nearly the same gaming performance/etc (including cooling, VRM, etc) I would go for this:
CPU: i5 10600K link (€247)
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z490-P link (€153)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S link (€65)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 link (€57)

Total: €522 (inc. VAT) = 2,113.52 Israeli Shekels (incl. sales tax)

Regarding the 10700, you can disable power limits. This means it will sustain its turbo frequencies indefinitely. But even without disabling power limits the 10700 is a chart topper in gaming and about 21% faster on average than a 2600X. In some titles it is over 50% faster. Look at the green bars.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-10700/15.html

Solution