Xfx rx 5700 gpu

Custom loop plans
Corsair hydro x series xr5 240mm rad
Corsair hydro x series xd5 pump/resevoir
Alphacool 12948 eisblock xpx aurora edge
Clear cryo fuel
Any comments and any suggestions for tubing and connectors

Solution
Are you doing this for performance or aesthetics? For performance, my opinion don't waste your money, there will be very very little gains vs a nice air cooler or aio. For aesthetics, sure go ahead. I like custom loops, they are great to look at!

3600x and 5700 NON XT? You're still going to want more radiator. A good 240mm radiator is usually rated at about 250w. The 3600x at full load will pull 75ish and the non xt 5700 will pull 185.(XT variants will be 225) All total is 260w(300w with XT), so heavy gaming, even at full fan speed is gonna be warm to hot. completely defeating the purpose of custom cooling. a 240 is simply not enough radiator. you'd want 2x240 or a 360 at minimum.

What case? IMO, any case worth putting a loop in will...
You’re gonna buy a custom loop for a 3600x only? And use a 240mm radiator? You won’t get any benefit off that setup using a custom loop over a good cheap AIO solution. The money spent on a custom loop could have been used to buy a 3700x.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
You’re gonna buy a custom loop for a 3600x only? And use a 240mm radiator? You won’t get any benefit off that setup using a custom loop over a good cheap AIO solution. The money spent on a custom loop could have been used to buy a 3700x.
Doesn't seem like there's enough of a performance boost to currently make it worth the upgrade to a 3700x unless your in Octacore territory

Are you doing this for performance or aesthetics? For performance, my opinion don't waste your money, there will be very very little gains vs a nice air cooler or aio. For aesthetics, sure go ahead. I like custom loops, they are great to look at!

3600x and 5700 NON XT? You're still going to want more radiator. A good 240mm radiator is usually rated at about 250w. The 3600x at full load will pull 75ish and the non xt 5700 will pull 185.(XT variants will be 225) All total is 260w(300w with XT), so heavy gaming, even at full fan speed is gonna be warm to hot. completely defeating the purpose of custom cooling. a 240 is simply not enough radiator. you'd want 2x240 or a 360 at minimum.

What case? IMO, any case worth putting a loop in will support at the least 1 360. Unless its some sff case. Will your case support a 280? that is better, but still may be warm.

As far as the 3700x vs 3600x for gaming only the difference will be little. It's when you add multitasking and cpu heavy loads that it gets better. Same can be said for the difference between the 3600 and 3600x. Again just my opinion, there's almost zero reason to spend the extra $20-40 the X commands. Very little to be gained there.

Solution
May 4, 2020

What case? IMO, any case worth putting a loop in will support at the least 1 360. Unless its some sff case. Will your case support a 280? that is better, but still may be warm.

As far as the 3700x vs 3600x for gaming only the difference will be little. It's when you add multitasking and cpu heavy loads that it gets better. Same can be said for the difference between the 3600 and 3600x. Again just my opinion, there's almost zero reason to spend the extra $20-40 the X commands. Very little to be gained there.
Case would support a front 360 but I'd prefer to keep the front intake fans in place and only run a top rad its a v200 rgb may consider changing cases if there's a good recommendation

So NON XT model? with a 240mm rad only, IT will be aesthetics only. I'd honestly do front 360 with top 240. Then you will definitely have both. And you can still get fancy rgb fans for the front if you must. Just remember you're talking about hundreds of dollars for about zero percent performance increase. You may get a few mhz on the gpu, and temps will be low(with a 360 or 360/240 combo), but actual performance will be low. With only a 240 fans will run fast and noisy.

Certainly not trying to talk you out of it, as I do love custom loops. Just don't set expectations too high and set yourself up for disappointment.

I saw no mention of fans in your initial post, make sure to add those into the cost. GOOD fans will run upwards of $25 each, add a few bucks if rgb is a must. Then realize rgb fans usually don't perform as well as their non rgb counterparts. You do not want to reuse case fans, you'll want high static psi fans.

Fitting suggestions. Do you want soft tube or hard? I run soft tubing. It's easier and usually cheaper. I use xspc fittings and mayhems tubing. Fittings were about 5 each for straight, and tubing was .50c a foot.

If you can fit a nice loop in your current case, I'd recommend to stay with it. As a new case is only going to add another 150ish to the already high cost.

Is this your case? https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/v200-tempered-glass-rgb-edition.html
If so, I'd barely consider those front fans intake, as they look severely choked for flow. Nice looking case, but seems airflow is not great at all.

You came her for opinions and advice and we are just giving it. I personally don’t see a point in going custom loop unless you don’t care about money and are running top end stuff eg. 3900x/9900k and a 2080/2080ti. Mid level and even that there is almost no performance gain for Ryzen with overclocking headroom. The GPU you MIGHT get a bit of a bump but almost nothing over what air would have given you in the stock cooler. So you are paying all of the money for aesthetics basically and no way I’d put both of those on a 360mm myself, let alone a 240mm but do as you like.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Custom watercooling builds nearly always need to be planned from the very start, not as an afterthought.

Sounds like this is an afterthought with emphasis of 'look I watercooled my PC'. But, fair enough.

Step 1: what CPU and GPU will be used? What will overall TDP be for these components?

Step 2: is GPU standard PCB layout with a) block options, or b)was the 'fancy OC extreme turbo super number 1' model selected because of marketing? Hopefully a) and not b). If b), good luck finding blocks, there might be one, if you are lucky.

Step 3: what case will accommodate enough radiator space to dissipate TDP from step 1? For relatively standard CPU+GPU at stock speeds, a 360 is pretty much considered common as a starting point, or a very thick 240 with very high performance fans. If overclocking, 360 is the smallest you can consider. This means it does not have to be a 'single 360' but can be a '120mm + another 240mm'. Similarly, 2x 240's can also be a 120mm + 360mm. It doesn't have to be 'contiguous radiator space'....just the total surface volume.

Step 4: tubing size, hardline or softline tubing? Barbs or compression fittings (also depends on tubing used).

Step 5: pump + reservoir considerations. D5's are great, but they are large and often take up a lot of space. Also, they are great for flow rate, but aren't as good in restrictive loops like DDC's are. Either option would be good choice unless the loop plan is going to be very complex and restrictive...then consider dual pumps or a better layout.

I'm assuming the watercooling sticky has not been read through thoroughly based on the questions being asked.