Opinion on best motherboard.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Upgrading from my -7-3770K to a i7-7770K. I am considering these mobo's but need some opinions. MSI Gaming M5 or M7. Gigabyte Gaming 5 or Gaming K7. Asus Strix E or ROG Maximus Hero. My biggest problem is that most boards now only have 2 internal 2.0 USB headers and would like at least 3. I also need at least 2 USB 3.0 headers. I am leaning towards MSI but never used an MSI board before. I have used mostly ASUS over the years. but it seems the other boards get better reviews. Gigabyte looks good but I look the look of the MSI and it's optane ready. Just don't know if I really need the extras on the MSI M7 for 50 dollars more. Any opinions and experience really appreciated. I have been mulling this over for 2 weeks now. Thanks.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
It matters what you play. I am a flight simmer and need speed. Being able to easily over clock to 5 Ghz makes a difference in FSX. I also want the new DDR4 memory as well as the new USB C types, Thunderbolt and Optane. Also I have a much nicer case and M2 SSD's. I can still get a good price for my used 3770K and 16 GB RAM so to me it's not the money that is a big concern. This build will be future proof for at least another 3 years. Thanks for the opinion but I already have parts for the build and just need a mobo. If anyone is interested in my old build let me know minus the GTX 1080