Opinion on choosing AMD and Intel Processors

Kishore22

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016
I am a noobie in building a cpu. I am thinking of building one probably next year. I have been researching well on the components. When I was choosing processors, I am confused with 3 processors. Give me your opinion, compare them and help me choose the best among the three.

[I am mainly building a cpu for gaming. Just to play games like Far Cry 4, GTA 5...]

1. AMD FX 8350
2. Intel i5 - 4460
3. Intel i5 - 6400

Link to Amazon for the Processors:
https://goo.gl/14pqRL
https://goo.gl/IcCTh3
https://goo.gl/RyXGKe

Solution
The i5 6400 has a 3.3ghz max turbo speed, while the 4460 has a 3.4ghz max turbo speed. The newer 6xxx CPU is about 10% faster per clock, so it's faster despite having a slightly lower clockspeed. Both are something like 60-75% faster per clock than the AMD FX CPU.

I would suggest the i5 6500 or 6600 if you can find them within your budget.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Of those the processors, the best would be the 6400, but don't plan out your parts well in advanced, because new cpus will be coming out sometime at the end of this year, and pricing and performance to $ will all change. So just wait about a month before you are going to build to start planing.

Kishore22

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016

But according to the specs on Amazon, i5 6400 has 2.70 Ghz and i5 4460 has upto 3.20 Ghz, Sorry if i am saying something wrong about this, as I said in the question, I am totally new to these. Also, it would be very helpful if you can suggest some processors in AMD or Intel in around INR 10k to 16k. (it is approximately $150 to $250 in USD)

The i5 6400 has a 3.3ghz max turbo speed, while the 4460 has a 3.4ghz max turbo speed. The newer 6xxx CPU is about 10% faster per clock, so it's faster despite having a slightly lower clockspeed. Both are something like 60-75% faster per clock than the AMD FX CPU.

I would suggest the i5 6500 or 6600 if you can find them within your budget.

Solution

Kishore22

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016

I think i5 6600 will be fine. I have a few other questions...

1. How is 6600k different from 6600?
2. You had said that FX is older. But doesnt any AMD have anything good and latest around the same price? My friend told me AMD offers a good value-for-money?
3. [Off-topic] Is this forum against pirated games? I mean, can we discuss about them?

1. It's unlocked meaning it can be overclocked , its also slightly faster out of the box but negligibly so.
2. Not comparable to Intel for gaming , a 6500 is about the same price as an fx 8 core & will perform better if gaming is your main priority.I'd argue if you're on a really really tight budget the 6300 is worth a punt.

3. No mate, no piracy talk allowed on here whatsoever.

As madmatt30 says, the "K" CPU can be overclocked if paired with a more expensive motherboard. It also doesn't come with a cooler, because most people who buy it wouldn't use the stock cooler anyway.

I don't think AMD CPUs offer much value these days. They're on the verge of bankruptcy because nobody can see a reason to buy much of anything they make. Desktop tasks generally don't need many CPU cores, and AMD's are close to half as fast as Intel's so they'll sell you twice as many, but most of those cores sit unused, doing nobody any good. A Core i3 generally beats anything AMD has for desktop tasks and gaming, even their $220+ CPUs.