Opinion on M.2 for OS

jokebook

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
I am building a new PC with the below hardware. Currently I am leaning toward purchasing and having Windows 10 exclusively on a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 Drive (256 GB). I like the idea of separation. Are there any other real benefits here? Also, assuming this set up is this the best drive for this option (short of a 970 PRO).

Thanks!!! I realize there is a lot of subjectivity but I appreciate it none the less.

CPU: 2700X
Mobo: ASUS STRIX X-470-F
RAM: GSKILL 3200 14-14-14 (16 GB, 2x8)
Storage: (2) Samsung EVO 860 SATA 1TB

Solution
the difference between NVMe vs SATA SSD drive isn't there yet. if you lookup some youtube videos they will show the loading times between both are just fractions of a second. it is not worth the extra cost to bother with NVMe drives if you are only looking for it to improve performance
^ agree with this. Having just done it, would say the cost of NVMe over SATA isn't worth it in most situations. You're paying twice the cost for the same amount of storage and it's hard to really "feel" a difference. If you would like to save some money, recommend an 860 Evo or Crucial MX500 in M.2 form factor for ease of installation.

the difference between NVMe vs SATA SSD drive isn't there yet. if you lookup some youtube videos they will show the loading times between both are just fractions of a second. it is not worth the extra cost to bother with NVMe drives if you are only looking for it to improve performance

Solution

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I have Windows 10 PRO installed on a 970 EVO M.2 Drive and it is super fast compared to my last set-up which had a mid-range SSD with the same operating system on it. I'm not sure what the difference would be vs. a high quality new SSD. The M.2 slot takes over two of your SATA ports though, so using an SSD would free up one of the SATA ports if that matters for your build.

jokebook

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

Thanks everyone. Hendrickhere. What do you mean by "takes over" that's news to me. I'm guessing the Mobo disables 2 SATA ports if it detects an m.2?