[SOLVED] Opinion on new gpu?

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
This is my current build:

CPU: i7 870 2.93ghz (boost to 3.6 unavailable due to bad cooler)
GPU: GTX 560 MSI
MBO: ASUS P7H55 M-PRO
RAM: 4x2 Kingston RAM DDR 3 1333mhz
PSU: LC POWER 6550 v2.2 (i got it used, didnt give me any trouble for almost a year)
SSD: Patriot Burst Elite 120GB
HDD: Seagate 250GB
And some old micro atx case with no fans inside.

I was thinking about getting a new AFOX RX 550 4GB 128bit (2 years warranty) and a new cpu cooler so it can run on turbo clock and bring some more perfomance Im not sure if that will also bring any performance.

Last edited:
Solution
a better cooler is probably not going to give you much more performance, though if your cooler is so bad that you thermal throttle, you should probably change it just to lengthen the life span of the cpu.
As for your gpu choice, to be honest, the rx 550 is not that much faster than the rx 550.
don't get me wrong, it's faster, but not "upgrade worthy" in my opinion.
My little brother's system rocks a gtx 970 with an i7 860 (similar cpu.) and I haven't seen a big bottleneck yet.
So, you could probably go with something a little faster for your upgrade, since the rx 550 really isn't worth it for you.
a better cooler is probably not going to give you much more performance, though if your cooler is so bad that you thermal throttle, you should probably change it just to lengthen the life span of the cpu.
As for your gpu choice, to be honest, the rx 550 is not that much faster than the rx 550.
My little brother's system rocks a gtx 970 with an i7 860 (similar cpu.) and I haven't seen a big bottleneck yet.
So, you could probably go with something a little faster for your upgrade, since the rx 550 really isn't worth it for you.

Solution

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Yeah i got that after i watched couple of benchmarks, i currently use lc cc 94 cooler which isnt so bad either but still i cant run my cpu boosted without it cooking itself, so i'll just save up for a better gpu and i cant even think about what components to get since there are new ryzen cpus coming and i HOPE that again the "100e for rx 580 8gb" is going to come back.

Yeah i got that after i watched couple of benchmarks, i currently use lc cc 94 cooler which isnt so bad either but still i cant run my cpu boosted without it cooking itself, so i'll just save up for a better gpu and i cant even think about what components to get since there are new ryzen cpus coming and i HOPE that again the "100e for rx 580 8gb" is going to come back.
Yeah hopefully prices calm down in a few months.