Question Opinion on New PC Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2023
I'm building my first PC in years. I did some research on Tom's Hardware in an attempt to select some decent components. I'm looking to build a decent gaming PC that is going to last several years. It appeared that the i5 was better than some of the i7s listed, so I went with that, and I think the GPU was pretty good based on value/performance.

The better GPUs were a lot more money and provided only a minimal performance boost as far as I could tell. By that I mean the difference between the 3060Ti and the 3070Ti was nearly double the price, and only went from about 90 FPS to 110 FPS. I can't imagine I'm ever going to play games that get above 100 FPS. I play American Truck Sim, Snow Runner, Mud Runner, Spintires, and all 3 Witcher games. Not much else right now. I don't play and FPS/Shooter games.

This is what I came up with, and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions:
  • Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM750x, 750 Watt, Gold, Fully Modular Power Supply
  • Crucial RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 Desktop Memory CT2K8G48C40U5
  • TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 2TB SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive SSD (R/W Speed up to 550/500 MB/s)
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0) Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, LHR, 8GB 256-bit GDDR6, GV-N306TGAMING OC-8GD REV2.0
  • Intel Core i5-13600KF Desktop Processor 14 cores (6 P-cores + 8 E-cores) 24M Cache, up to 5.1 GHz
  • ASUS Prime Z690-A LGA 1700(Intel 12th) ATX Motherboard (16+1 DrMOS,PCIe 5.0,DDR5,4X M.2, Intel 2.5 Gb LAN,USB 3.2 Gen 2 Front Panel Type-C,Thunderbolt™ 4,Aura Sync RGB Lighting)
  • Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB White CPU Air Cooler, 6 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler, Dual 120mm TL-C12C-S PWM Fan, AGHP Technology, for AMD AM4/AM5/Intel LGA1700/1150/1151/1155/1200
  • HYTE Y60 Modern Aesthetic Dual Chamber Panoramic Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Computer Gaming Case with PCIE 4.0 Riser Cable Included, White (CS-HYTE-Y60-BW)

Feb 10, 2023
They said it's not returnable. I contacted them twice. They said I need to contact ASUS. In any case, I'm stuck with this board, but I don't know how to update it.

They said it's not returnable. I contacted them twice. They said I need to contact ASUS. In any case, I'm stuck with this board, but I don't know how to update it.
Don't despair. Call around to local mom & pop PC shops and find out how much they charge for updating your bios. The 12 gen cpu's are pretty popular so there's a good chance one of those shops will be able to fix you up for a small fee.

Feb 10, 2023
I hate my life right now. I was going to order a system from CyberPower PC. That's where I got my last PC, but people on discord said no build your own its cheaper and easy. But its turning out to be a pain like I thought it would because I don't know all what I'm doing.

I will ask the local computer shop in the morning and see what they say. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

Reactions: Why_Me
Feb 10, 2023
Return policy on new products is typically 30 days even if you use it. Buy a 12th gen CPU, update the BIOS, and return it for a full refund, problem solved.

They already won't return the motherboard. I'm not going to buy something else and be stuck with that paperweight too. I can't keep throwing money away.

They already won't return the motherboard. I'm not going to buy something else and be stuck with that paperweight too. I can't keep throwing money away.
What country do you live in? Where did you buy the motherboard? Was the motherboard bought new? did you buy it more than 30 days ago? If you buy a 12th gen from Newegg or Amazon they have to honor the return period of 30 days.

Feb 10, 2023
What country do you live in? Where did you buy the motherboard? Was the motherboard bought new? did you buy it more than 30 days ago? If you buy a 12th gen from Newegg or Amazon they have to honor the return period of 30 days.

I don't know why they would have to honor that return, when they already don't honor the return of the motherboard. I spent 2 hours arguing with them last night before I lost the will to live.

TRENDING THREADS