Opinion: The Upside If Qualcomm Decided to Buy AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
DABDA:
Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, ACCEPTANCE!

For this I'm still on Denial, Too bad IMO. Does AMD completely admitted the defeat?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]intel doesnt need nvidia they can probably make a better gpu if they really wanted to[/citation]

they tried and failed, they had one that was somewhat equal to the 285 at one point (rumor) but scratched that whole line without going to market.

it takes a hell of allot to get a working and effective gpu architecture working, intel tried, and failed.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
If Qualcomm were to buy AMD, that would likely lead to a virtual monopoly in the x86 consumer segment. I imagine another company would simply end competition on AMD's weaker business ventures, and keep pumping resources into the more profitable GPU & Enterprise (server) markets.

Not really a good thing IMO. I believe AMD has the talent and know how to become competitive again. However, a lack of good leadership, and as was pointed out, a disconnect between marketing & engineering is really holding them back.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they tried and failed, they had one that was somewhat equal to the 285 at one point (rumor) but scratched that whole line without going to market.it takes a hell of allot to get a working and effective gpu architecture working, intel tried, and failed.[/citation]

After seeing what the latest Intel HDs can do.......I don't think they've done trying and frankly, they haven't failed, just progressing a little slow

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they tried and failed, they had one that was somewhat equal to the 285 at one point (rumor) but scratched that whole line without going to market.it takes a hell of allot to get a working and effective gpu architecture working, intel tried, and failed.[/citation]

They haven't failed. The project got integrated into the CPU. After all Larrabee is GPGPU, so the technology was all too different from the discrete GPU.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Imagine the monopoly control.[/citation]
There are still VIA, Sun, ARM and...Nvidia (which would begin it's desktop CPU march quite soon, it's inevitable), out there...plenty of capable competitors, IMHO.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
All I need is to see ARM gets into Desktop chips to end x86 dominance, or may be Android for desktop so I can finally stop paying Microsoft.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I have a mixed feeling about this.... if Qualcomm buys AMD i am sure it will definitely improve but idk...it will be weird... Intel VS Qualcomm and Nvidia VS Qualcomm wouldn't be the same :( well, i am all for improvements!

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]jabarumba[/nom]QCOM buys AMD, then Intel buys Nvidia...[/citation]

this would imply that Nvidia, wanted to be bought, also Nvidia is doing rely well so to buy it, would require the money of several 3rd world country's together. Committing to to something that big would hinder Intel's investment into further upgrading there factory's also things that are not cheap. Note Samsung's recent investment of over 4billion (about Arm's yearly profit) into modernizing one of its Fab's to get to 28nm. Intel has so far the best fab capacity in the world both in yield and and in miniaturization size, being well ahead of its competition, advantage that is hard to gain easily lost.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Just out of curiosity how much do you think it would take to buy intel? say apple decided it wanted everything in house. Could they afford Intel? $40billion? or closer to $100billion?

rnssr71

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
If ANYONE buys AMD or if AMD goes bankrupt, the x86 license goes back to Intel. Anyone who buys AMD would know longer be able to produce an x86 cpu. ......Unless IBM buys them- IBM has an x86 license that they don't use.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]All I need is to see ARM gets into Desktop chips to end x86 dominance, or may be Android for desktop so I can finally stop paying Microsoft.[/citation]
Have you ever heard of Ubuntu?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Just out of curiosity how much do you think it would take to buy intel? say apple decided it wanted everything in house. Could they afford Intel? $40billion? or closer to $100billion?[/citation]
You actually can't buy 51% (Control packet) of Intel's share even if you pay 500~800 Billions. It's revenue just that high. To actually buy Intel, you'd need at least twice that sum.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]All I need is to see ARM gets into Desktop chips to end x86 dominance, or may be Android for desktop so I can finally stop paying Microsoft.[/citation]
Have you ever heard of Ubuntu?

cowasaki

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Just out of curiosity how much do you think it would take to buy intel? say apple decided it wanted everything in house. Could they afford Intel? $40billion? or closer to $100billion?[/citation]

They have that in reserves but it doesn't fit in their business plan. They farm out manufacturing to other people then make them fight amongst themselves to get the best deals or price/performances etc. Intel have partnered up with them on lots of things but owning the company is a whole different thing. There might well be competition issues too.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I rather Samsung buys AMD. They're investing heavily in their foundries. Their ARM SOCs are awesome and they make great products.

[citation][nom]rnssr71[/nom]If ANYONE buys AMD or if AMD goes bankrupt, the x86 license goes back to Intel. Anyone who buys AMD would know longer be able to produce an x86 cpu. ......Unless IBM buys them- IBM has an x86 license that they don't use.[/citation]
VIA has a license as well. In any case, Intel would be forced to license x86 if anything happens to AMD (due to the monopoly).

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]rnssr71[/nom]If ANYONE buys AMD or if AMD goes bankrupt, the x86 license goes back to Intel. Anyone who buys AMD would know longer be able to produce an x86 cpu. ......Unless IBM buys them- IBM has an x86 license that they don't use.[/citation]

a lot of people have x86 licences, Cyrix (now Via), i remember IDT having one back in the day they used to make Centaur's and Winchips (p1 150mhz ), IBM used to fab Cyrix cpu's. And there may be a few more. Note worthy is the fact that both IDT's Centaur division and Cyrix are owned by VIA at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.