[SOLVED] Opinion Upgrade Time - From Asus P9X79 PRO to...?

Torukai

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
My beast (8? years ago) is starting to show its age. Asus P9X79 Pro w/ i3930k

Over the years I've only updated the GPU and HDs and now it's time to retire the mb/cpu/mem off to be a file server or something.

I'll bring my GPU (EVGA GTX 1080 FTW) and storage (Samsung 970 Pro NVMe + 850 Pro) to a new solution. I will likely stick with Intel (the 9700K looks attractive), but the motherboard is a question mark.

I've been a big fan of Asus over the years with Gigabyte being a close second -- but I have not followed this stuff since this PC was built so I don't know if their quality has gone to crap.

I will do my due diligence of reading reviews and looking at benchmarks but would like some honest real-world opinions as to what the current state of things are and what might be a worthy heir to the Asus P9X79.

Solution
Motherboards as a whole have come to be pretty high quality, even off brand options like ASRock are still decent quality boards but they have quirks such as mounting screws being in non standard locations. I would pick your CPU first then just choose a motherboard with decent specs to match.

MSI, Gigabyte and Asus are all still very good brands and I would say if you are okay shelling out an extra $20 you will be happy getting a standard configuration motherboard from a respected brand and not fiddling with figuring out mounting screw locations and odd choices of header placement.

Use pcpartpicker to help, you can plug in your parts and check compatibility while filtering on useful features.
https://pcpartpicker.com/

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Motherboards as a whole have come to be pretty high quality, even off brand options like ASRock are still decent quality boards but they have quirks such as mounting screws being in non standard locations. I would pick your CPU first then just choose a motherboard with decent specs to match.

MSI, Gigabyte and Asus are all still very good brands and I would say if you are okay shelling out an extra $20 you will be happy getting a standard configuration motherboard from a respected brand and not fiddling with figuring out mounting screw locations and odd choices of header placement.

Use pcpartpicker to help, you can plug in your parts and check compatibility while filtering on useful features.
https://pcpartpicker.com/

Solution
The successor was the x99 and the grandchild the x299. I have the Prime x99-A USB 3.1, a solid piece of work, and am installing as we speak the new chipset standard , the z/390. Again I'll stick with what works well, the ASUS Prime z390-A