Opinion: Woz Predicts a Horrendous Cloud, and I Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
up to now i don't play online , i recycle to play old games of all genre and doesn't store my valuable files online except pictures to share or big file sizes not possible to deliver via yahoo messenger.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
*Puts file in the cloud*

Oops, your internet connection went down again due to a light rain shower. Also, your accounts got hit by a troll that tricked the customer support and an actually ID thief that exploited a backdoor.

G

I agree, many business and governments will suffer great losses of data with cloud failures. I will probably never really trust the cloud, unless it is my own private cloud on my own hardware.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It’s the teens, 20s and 30s that are deciding the future of the cloud. From what I can see, they are completely happy with what they get.

They're too apathetic to care. What they'll end up with is a dystopian nightmare.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I agree with Woz, and I'm only in my mid 20s. I like to feel like I own my stuff. I don't keep anything on the cloud except a couple backups, and even then I update those once a year and keep the offline backup going monthly. I don't play any games I can't buy a physical disc of and don't have sitting in front of me. My family has never leased a car in our lives. I admit I don't regularly buy newspapers. And unfortunately I haven't bought music in years because I've already been burned once by the iTunes experience about six years ago.

The thing is, it doesn't have to be this way. I look at people who go about posting all sorts of personal info on blogs, pouring their would out on websites... In general there is this perception that this is the way things have started to go, it's the way things have to be. My generation and the one coming up tends to get a lot of the blame, but really I feel like it's been a collective thing where people just don't seem eager to defend their own rights. We like in a country in the US that, despite what you might think of the gov't or of business, you do have a choice to make. You don't have to buy any and everything that comes along. And even if it's a bit of a pain, you don't have to "keep up with the Jones'" or buy into anything because someone says it's great or awesome. We as individuals have the power to choose. Even if you like to use Facebook to keep in contact with friends, you choose what you put on it. A company can show as many commercials as they want, it doesn't mean you have to buy what they're selling. Show some will power!

Sorry, I know it's a long and preachy post, but I feel like people have just lost the will to use common sense in a lot of things. Not just the "looking back" types of things where you miss something, but stuff that should have been obvious and that had big warning signs thrown up.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I agreed.
I have not and will never use the cloud, I keep my "stuff" on my hard drives.
If I need some external safe keeping, I burn a backup disk and put safely somewhere where I can retrieve it
even without an online connection.

Plus I don't have to pay some company for "cloud storage", that's just stupid, hard drives are way more convenient and cheaper. (you don't have to pay a monthly fee to keep using your hard drive)

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Clouds are nice for things that you specifically intend to share with others or with other computers you own, and they can be a cheap offsite backup for data that wouldn't destroy your life or business if it somehow got released in the open.

But this recent trend to put everything in the cloud and store nothing locally disturbs me. I understand that there are cost benefits to not distributing high-capacity hard drives to everybody everywhere, but I just can't stand the idea of losing control over my data.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I'm not even remotely interested in putting my data into someone else's hands. I know that, in the event of failure, I can do whatever I can to get my data back. I trust myself more than some idiot on the other end saying "Oh well we'll do the best we can, sir!"

I understand the cloud and it's many many benefits. However, in my opinion, they absolutely do not outweigh the negatives. I prefer to take care of my own, and I'm not ready to rely on someone else to do it for me....

... Not to mention, if your internet service goes down for any reason, you're SOL.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I agree that the "cloud" will have horrendous issues for years to come, sadly. The main issue will be security and i don't doubt there will be news monthly about high profile sites who been hacked one way or the other! How many high profile sites have been hacked lately where the users are have lost personal data?

The corporations want to roll out the cloud as it opens up a host of new profit opportunity's but i really hope those that do so by gambling with the customers data will receive hefty fines for lack of security if they get hacked.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I'm 22 and only interested in the cloud for syncing my bookmarks/URLs between my desktop and laptop and for things that I specifically want to share with others. Everything else stays on my hard drives.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This isn't about what kind of technology we "grow up with"...

This is about being smart.

The internet is NOT secure. Any computer connected to the internet is considered unsecured.

InvalidError

Titan
The thing that annoys me the most about cloud-based stuff is apps that require internet connection for arbitrary reasons that seem completely unnecessary. Many single-player games on Google Play store player data online and become unusable offline and some applications misbehave when their advertising libraries fail to contact servers, which makes things like tablets half as useful.

If everything starts storing every trivial thing online, people are going to get royally screwed every time their internet connection has hiccups or they go offline for whatever reason.

G

I think his statements are timely. Did anyone see the news of Mat Honan hacked account? A bit of social engineering and having everything connected to iCloud enabled the whole thing

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]If you're using webmail or IMAP mail, you're already using the "cloud".[/citation] Not necessarily, I have set Thunderbird set to save all e-mails locally. In my case you can think of the data saved in the cloud as a back-up.

Personally I have not problem saving files on the cloud as a back-up and only if that data does not contain sensitive data (which in my case I am careful never to e-mail out private data). The problem arises when you have devices like Google's Chromebook or cloud based applications which is designed to save most/all of your data online and trust that information to a third party.

blackjackedy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I'm only 17 and still am not convinced that the "cloud" (different how to web hosting that used to exist? Off topic..) should be the way of the future, and even have an aversion to anything that uses internet hosting for much more than a backup of my locally stored files. I have two reasons for this;

Living in New Zealand, unless you want to spend an obscene amount of money, you cannot get enough internet to stream movies, music etc without blowing your cap in a week ($75 per month gets you a 40gb limit plus a phone line)

Secondly, I just feel like anything that cannot be locally stored is not a possession of mine and that I am borrowing it (even if I have paid). Say I am wrongfully banned from the service, all i have paid for is lost. If the service goes down in several years time, even if I never want to use the content again I'll still feel like I've been robbed if it just goes away with the service. The fact I cannot control or do with the content what I choose (eg encoding a video to a different format to run on a phone) just feels too constrictive for something I should rightfully own.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I have never been an Apple fan kiddie, though I will admit I have enjoyed the couple of iPods I have owned.

But I have the utmost respect for Steve Wozniak. He has always appeared to be forthright and honest and I agree completely with his opinion. I have always felt that the cloud was in fact a wall cloud with an F5 tornado hidden inside.

It's rather odd that the people most pushing the cloud are the ones who want to "host" our data. Sorry, but give me local storage and control. There is absolutely no reason for all these people to have access to our data, and it's been proven time after time that it's not safe. Just look at all the hacks that have happened recently to all these databases.

I say pass on the cloud and let me order a new hard drive/flash drive.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I'm 15 and I agree. I use Dropbox, hotmail, and gmail, but I store copies of everything offline as well, and I don't store too much in the cloud.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Hiii[/nom]Who's imposing all this cloud thing?.[/citation]

The consortium of hardware vendors and software vendors...

Their hardware plan is to charge a premium on performance based hardware (the cloud servers and infrastructure) so they can span out performance progress longer and charge more for less on the consumer side of things.

Their software plan revolves around peeking on all the cloud data to bring to heel any emerging technologies that threaten the entrenched players.

It is pretty much a return to the dark age of computing (users use terminals) for both control and profit.

What really needs to happen is to enable average users to run their own clouds from home. (we already have this for people who know what they are doing, long before cloud became a buzzword)

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The only thing I want from a cloud is shade and an occasional rain storm to keep my plants happy. I've been in the IT business for 15+ years and am very wary of having less than two physical backups in different locations at all times of my important information. The thought of uploading all this data (encrypted or not) to a server controlled by unknown people in an unknown location is ludicrous to me.

Banks and online stores are constantly targets of massive amounts of data theft and they've been trying to secure their systems for far longer than cloud services have existed. Until someone truly comes up with an impenetrable system, I'll never trust them with my data. Even if they do get the security thing down perfectly, they're subject to subpoenas and other forms of the nosy government trying to monitor for "suspicious behavior". They already monitor phone calls with impunity why would we think they'd leave alone all the data willingly uploaded to the cloud? Some case of mistaken identity or a bogus accusation from someone out for revenge and you can possibly have all your personal info sifted through, or even worse, be blocked from retrieving it again? No thanks!

I'd rather practice reasonable backup routines and control my security myself. If I need to access files away from home, I have several means of securely accessing anything I have remotely from another PC or smartphone and this tech has been available for years without the need to give someone else all your info.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
One point I forgot to mention is the ability to rent computing resources, like Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud service and others. This is the one positive thing I see coming from the cloud and the possibilities in the future are huge. You can basically rent time on a supercomputer for quite a reasonable price and only for a short time if needed. Say you have a huge database merging project, or some other operation requiring a huge amount of processing power that you would need weeks or months to run on your current systems. Instead of spending a fortune on hardware, you can rent time on the 'Cloud' and have your own little piece of a 140 teraflop cloud computing grid at your disposal. This availability of massive computer power to the average Joe is quite a brilliant idea.

That being said, I'm still all about keeping control of the data, both your existing information and whatever the output of your cloud super computing projects may be.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Everything important on my HD/SSDs is in TrueCrypt partitions.
Unless I can have something similar in a cloud service I'd not dream of putting anything critical out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.