Opinions and Comments Desired on New Build for Basic Use Plus Some Gaming, Updated with GPU

profman

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I'd really appreciate advice and comments. I built my last system perhaps 5+ years ago, did not have a perfect success rate, and am quite rusty. I used the recommended template found on this forum.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 - 6 weeks

Budget Range: Aiming for $1,600 or below with a soft ceiling of $2,000 total before shipping and taxes

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing, watching video, but I want a gaming system that would run the few games I may want at moderate to good resolution (not top or ultra resolution). Two of the games will be releases later this year and are mentioned below. I also like the Bioshock series.

VIDEO GAME: The Gallery: Six Elements which is designed for a VR interface like the Oculus Rift

VIDEOGAME: Obduction by Cyan

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Not planning on using old parts for anything critical.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (Windows 8.1 or 10?)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon and Newegg are my currently favored shopping sites. Links below are to Amazon.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia graphics

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No, I want to utilize only one graphics card.

Your Monitor Resolution: I'm open as to monitor size and resolution since I have not bought a monitor for a decade or more. It looks like 24+ inch monitors are popular now.

Additional Comments: I'd like a nice case with some lighting. I am willing to spend a bit more on a trouble free case.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My previous build, running Windows XP, died in 2011. I recently just bought a new HP laptop (Windows 8.2) to replace my old, slow Windows XP laptop. I want a new desktop system to to surf, run MS Office, and to run any new games that I may want.

Tentative parts are listed below. Most of the below parts are pulled from System Builder Marathon articles at Tom's Hardware. Let me know if there are conflicts that I have not noticed. I am open to changes. The primary article was:

System Builder Marathon Q2 2015: $1600 Gaming PC

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Processor 3.5GHz 5.0GT/s 6MB LGA 1150 CPU, Retail

MB: ASRock Desktop Motherboard - Intel Z97 Express Chipset - Socket H3 LGA-1150 Z97 EXTREME6

MEMORY: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory F3-1866C10D-16GAB

Graphics Card (added after initial post, sorry!)ASUS Graphics Cards STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5

CASE: DIYPC Adventurer-9601R Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with 5 x 120mm Red Fan and 1 x USB 3.0

PSU: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 744 Power Supply CX750M

STORAGE HD: Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000DM001)

BOOT SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

Thanks!
profman

profman

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

I'll certainly use your information about the PSU! There are not many sources of good information about power supply units on the web.

Thanks!
profman