Opinions and suggestions please ...upgrade or start a new build

Jul 4, 2018
OK so ive had my current PC now for a few years...its a cyber-power PC i purchased from best buy since purchase i have swapped out the power supply with a seasonic 750W semi modular and the graphics card..i upgraded to a nvidia GTX 970..the CPU is an I7 3770k overclocked to 4.2 gigahertz
with 8 gigs of super talent ddr3 1333 ram...would i gain any performance from adding another 8 gigs of ram and upgrading my GTX 970....or do i look into building a new PC overall starting with cpu and MOBO...i havent been able to discern if my current rig could handle a more powerful graphics card without bottle necking. I have been out of the loop on tech since i have purchased this rig...and what upgrades i have done came from advice from these forums....so i need you help again guys ! im also still using an old school hard-drive......SSds confuse me lol

dominionz

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Adding another 8 gigs of ram won't really increase performance unless you are using most or all of the 8 gigs. I have read before that you may see some Windows overall performance improvement but might not translate into gaming. I don't see a problem with a GPU upgrade to a 1070/1080. The CPU shouldn't be an issue. My only concern would be the Mobo that came with the CyberPower. If it's a retail board and not proprietary then it should be ok.

Jul 4, 2018

it came with an asustek p8Z77-V LX..and when im currently playing fallout 76 i use 100% of my ram..im still running windows 7 home premium