Question Opinions for upgrades to my current rig

Jan 9, 2020
My current build is 5 years old:

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz (no overvolting)
RAM: 1x8GB DDR3 @2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro (w/ XMP enabled)
GPU: GTX970 OCed @ 1500mhz boost clock (no overvolting)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming-5
PSU: Corsair CX600

CPU Cooler: bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 (2x 120mm Fans), - I actually think the fans are between 120mm and 140mm
Case Front: 2 * 120mm Corsair AF120
Case Back: No exhaust fans installed at the moment (I have two 120mm fans laying around that I will install when I get round to it)
Case Top: No exhaust fans installed at the moment

SSD1: 120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 (BOOT DRIVE)
SSD2: 512GB Adata XPG SX8200Pro NVMe PCIe
HDD: 1tb WD Green
NAS: 3tb WD myCloud

Monitor: 2x Dell P2418D 1440p 24inch (second monitor is being delievered within the week)

Here's a benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27197487

I originally bought this PC 5 years ago and upgraded it with more fans, more storage , network cards etc and tuned it by bumping up the clock speeds. But more specifically on the networking on my setup, i.e. powerline, 8port switch etc. It's working reasonably well. I program in python, c++ and other languages on it so I use VS Code and Visual Studio. I run Linux VM's all the time and play games on it.

I wanted to run VGA passthrough however, I don't think that 4cores would be sufficient to set that up and run it smoothly. I have some money to spend on my rig but Im unsure when I'll upgrade from a ddr3 to a ddr4 platform, so any of the upgrades I plan I would like to be platform agnostic, i.e. I can move it over to a new build if I decided.

I want to add more RAM to 24GB which the VMware, Visual Studio, and just general applications should benefit from dual channel and from the general increase in memory. But I can't find brand new memory of the exact same model and colour scheme. A set of the same used ddr3 2x8GB matching modules is £100, which is kinda ridiculous because you can get brand new 2x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz for the same price.

I also plan on upgrading my graphics card, but at the moment idk which model. I've seen how AMD has made great strides in the last year or so, and was thinking on getting a rx5700. But I've also been getting into machine learning and have heard that Nvidia is the way to go for AI. Any recommendations on a GPU that can play games at 1440p60fps at Medium/High settings aswell as a solid card for machine learning. I would preferably like to keep the cost of the card below £400.

Anyways, the main question is should I stick with the current platform I'm on, and if so how long would it be viable for. How much of a benefit would it be to upgrading to a newer platform, so that would be 3rd gen ryzen or 9th gen Intel CPU's. Would it be worth upgrading for the additional cores, larger cache and additional features?

Another question would be how much do you reckon would be a fair price for my CPU, RAM, GPU, Mobo w/ a Corsair case (including a fan) and the original intel heatsink?
And how much would I be spending on a new CPU, RAM and MOBO combo, before I see actual performance benefits on the applications I use.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS