Question [OPINIONS] How long (years) will last 3080 TI in high settings, quality games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2021
[OPINIONS] How long (years) will last 3080 TI in high settings, quality games?

Would it be dating as good as for example 1080 TI which even 5 years later, still gives high-ultra settings play-ability? or it will be otherwise?
whats your unbiased thoughts?

Thanks.

Aug 5, 2021
I would also go and check a lot of reviews and see how the RTX 3080ti, 3070ti and RX 6700XT reviews compare in games to each other.

You can find good reviews in Tom's Hardware, Hardware Unboxed, Gamer Nexus, Guru3d, among others.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

btw crazy here, while I can get this 3080 TI for 1460$ as its last unit in stock and vendor in good relationship with me, so he offered me this price (he sell at no profit), if I wanted 6800 XT the shops here sell it for insane $1900!!!!!
That vendor also offers me the 3070 for $950 and 3060 TI for $770, but i THINK 3080 TI for 1460$ gives the most performance/dollar and longevity, isnt it?

I tell you, originally I collected $1000 and planned it for a major, important upgrade. Then, I had a chance (week ago) get 6700XT for $1000, considering its hard to find those now days and price is "OK" in compared to what its being sold at now days, I grabbed it and considered it "the major upgrade". Then, I realized, a game I so want to play (CP) is exactly one game that doesnt run well on this card, unstable and RT is awful (At least in current optimization of this game), I felt bit furious, rushed to sell it for $200 less than I bought it. Now I've $800 out of $1000 I had originally for the major upgrade. But then I got a call from a friend, he own computer service / shop here, in the city, he said "Listen up, I have Palit 3080 TI, one last in stock, full warranty, sealed brand new, I can give it to you at the price I paid for it $1460" so I thought, Yes - I gonna go above my original budget here, and squeeze additional funds for it, but same time, comparing it to 3070 @ $950 or 3060 TI @ $780, I get here 50% extra raw performance vs 3070 at $450 extra, it means, 2-3 gens I wont need consider an upgrade, it also means if I decide sell my PC/parts anytime in 2-3 years, this card will still (PROBABLY) have a certain reasonable market value, it also means as long as I use this card, I will have full blown experience, and it COULD POSSIBLY give a good experience for 3-5 years? so... I think 3080 TI worth the extra buck that I squeeze for this purpose.

My current specs:
Ryzen 3600
16GB 3200
ASUS X470F
750W PSU (Antec HCG750, Red, bronze)

Thoughts?
2021 seems like a bad time to buy a graphics card in general, unless one is absolutely needed. As far as how the long-term resale value of the card will hold up, I would expect not too well.

Keep in mind that the 3080 Ti and 3090 tend to only get around 10% more performance than a 3080 in graphically-demanding games, and that's a card that launched at a US $700 MSRP for the Founder's Edition nearly a year ago. Sure, it was hard to actually acquire for that price last fall, and the availability and pricing issues only got worse this year, between crypto miners, limited production capacity, and increased demand in general, but if Nvidia launched a card at that performance level then, it wouldn't be at all surprising if even faster cards become available around that price point before too long. We also have Intel moving into the dedicated graphics card market soon, so there may be increased competition over the coming years that could potentially result in more competitive prices.

And it's unlikely the current pricing situation will last forever. When the last crypto-induced graphics card shortage struck back in 2017, it was largely resolved within a year, with prices getting back around where they should be, and used cards often selling for well below their initial MSRPs as former mining cards flooded the market. It's hard to say whether recovery might follow a similar timescale this time around, as this shortage seems a bit worse, but it wouldn't be too surprising if cards managed to get back around their MSRPs by early next year. It's also rumored that Nvidia may be launching a new generation of cards before the end of 2022, though waiting for that might be a bit much unless the current availability issues take an abnormally long time to resolve.

If one has the money and is willing to pay a premium for a new card now, they can, but I wouldn't expect any significant portion of that inflated value to hold a few years down the line. In 2024, Nvidia will likely launch yet another generation of cards, and it's possible that better performance might even be available from new cards priced closer to $300 by then. A 3060 offers nearly the rasterized performance of a 1080 Ti, after all, along with RT and DLSS. Had it not launched during this shortage, it would have likely been a $300 card.

As for Cyberpunk, the general opinion about that game tends to be that it feels unfinished, and performance tends to be unstable on most hardware. The developer still apparently has plans fix more of the game's issues, and supposedly there will be a major update targeting the new consoles eventually, but it will likely still be many months before the game is in a mostly finished state. So it's probably not worth buying a new graphics card to beta-test that game now, when it will likely offer a more playable experience sometime next year, especially with graphics card prices the way they are at the moment. A 3080 or 3080 Ti would undoubtedly offer a smoother experience than a 6700 XT with raytracing enabled, but the game is still going to have a number of issues either way.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
btw crazy here, while I can get this 3080 TI for 1460$ as its last unit in stock and vendor in good relationship with me, so he offered me this price (he sell at no profit), if I wanted 6800 XT the shops here sell it for insane $1900!!!!!
That vendor also offers me the 3070 for $950 and 3060 TI for $770, but i THINK 3080 TI for 1460$ gives the most performance/dollar and longevity, isnt it?
You seem to have gotten your answer several times, that it's unknown but yet you keep asking the same question over and over as if you want us to give you the answer you want to hear (echo chamber).

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
[OPINIONS] How long (years) will last 3080 TI in high settings, quality games?

Would it be dating as good as for example 1080 TI which even 5 years later, still gives high-ultra settings play-ability? or it will be otherwise?
whats your unbiased thoughts?

Thanks.
The thing is that RTX 30 series GPUs have trouble running games at 8k, which is the innovation they made. The FPS does not remain playable. It drops lower than 30 frames per second sometimes in RDR 2.
This just shows how demanding is 8k.

RTX 2080 TI, was launched in the end of 2018. It can still play some new titles above 50 FPS.

Who knows what the future will be? Maybe we'll have 4D gaming or something? Maybe more badly optimized games?

tecmo34

Administrator
I bought my 3080 Ti with the plan to upgrade to the 50 series and I play at 2K, mainly FPS games (COD mostly). As games demand more, I turn down my settings from Ultra to low to keep the FPS up. I'm not one to upgrade yearly but get a good 4 years out of a GPU and even longer on CPU's. It wasn't till last year that I upgraded my i7-3960X system once it became obvious that is was bottlenecking the newer 30 series cards. Prior, it served me well for the 10 years of use for my needs and daily work needs.

Systems need updated/upgraded once they get to the point that they no longer do what you want them to do performance wise, so time is relevant to only you and your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Status
Not open for further replies.