[SOLVED] Opinions needed on CPU/GPU combo.

mvnny

Commendable
Feb 14, 2018
Friend of mine is looking to upgrade her pc (On a budget). She currently has a CyberPower PC with Ryzen 5 1400 with B350 motherboard, 8gb DDR4, and RX580 (Unsure of power supply) . Shes going to upgrade to 16GB 3200Mhz RAM and m.2 SSD but for GPU/CPU theres been alot of different opinions. She can only get one or the other.

Games that'll be played: Destiny 2 (Low Settings), Apex Legends (Low Settings), DayZ (Unsure) , ARK (Unsure) , Division 2 (Unsure).

I suggested to upgrade the 1400 to a 2600X and keep the RX580. Another opinion is to overclock the 1400 and buy a RTX 2060.

My argument is 2600x has 2c/4th more than 1400 and also comes with Division 2 for free, and none of the games that will be played need or have RTX so no need for a RTX2060, and later down the road upgrade to 20** series.

Other argument, OC the 1400 to 3.7-3.8Ghz and maybe see a slight bottleneck but get the 40-50% GPU performance upgrade.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to builds and price/performance so I would just like some outside opinions.

What speed is the RAM? If it's less than 3000mhz I'd look at upgrading to a 2x8gb kit @ 3000mhz or faster. I see you already covered this.

I'd then look at a 2600 non-X CPU. I'd also get a SSD instead of a m.2 drive and save a few bucks.

Also, what make and model of PSU?

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Some recommended brands of power supply units (PSUs) are EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake and Cooler Master. Please buy a high-end Corsair PSU such as the AS or AX series if a Corsair PSU is chosen. Low budget range Corsair PSUs seem to fail a lot. For Seasonic, the Focus series PSUs are very reliable. Thermaltake PSUs from the Toughpower series seems reliable. About power, a PSU calculator from the Outervision website can help to decide how much power the computer really needs. Would you like me to send you a link to the PSU calculator website from Outervision?