Question Opinions of red swithes for typing?

lorcav123

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
I ordered a Steelseries Apex 7 with red switches on a really great deal , that will be my first mech keyboard, it will arrive soon. Keyboard uses QX2 red switches, which produces Gateron, they are basically a Gateron red. I read that Gateron are much smoother and better that Cherry mx red.
What bother me that will red as my first mech switch be okay for typing? On my PC I do 55% gaming and 45% typing.
Also I read that you cant rest fingers on reds, that they are very insanely easily to press. That seems strange to me because red and brown use the same actuation force of 45, and brown are much better by some for typing. shouldnt in that case also brown be very easy to activate?

Will I be ok with red and will I see much better enjoyment than on membrane keyboard?

I've only owned blue and red so can't say about brown but with reds, I do end up accidentally pressing them sometimes and mine are kailh 50cn force. You can rest your fingers on them but you just have to be more aware of how you're moving your hands. If you prefer a linear feel, they are nicer than membrane but I prefer tactile which means I think membrane are better but none of my old kbs are backlit. Blues are awesome to type on, however they are loud so I do use my red instead. There's just no clear activation point so you can't tell if you did press it or not unless you see the effect. I would probably prefer browns but I got these kbs for free and it honestly doesn't matter much.

Reactions: lorcav123

lorcav123

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
I've only owned blue and red so can't say about brown but with reds, I do end up accidentally pressing them sometimes and mine are kailh 50cn force. You can rest your fingers on them but you just have to be more aware of how you're moving your hands. If you prefer a linear feel, they are nicer than membrane but I prefer tactile which means I think membrane are better but none of my old kbs are backlit. Blues are awesome to type on, however they are loud so I do use my red instead. There's just no clear activation point so you can't tell if you did press it or not unless you see the effect. I would probably prefer browns but I got these kbs for free and it honestly doesn't matter much.

Thanks. I can still cancel order but I think I will risk with reds. I first wanted only brown but I found the most complaintes on them, especially Cherry mx brown, many say that they have very weak tactile feedback, that they look like broken reds. Gateron and Outemu Brown should be better but this deal for Steelsereis Apex was too god to reject. Blues are probably too loud for me, I usually use computer at night, at whisper quiet enviroment.

update: I read that Gateron switches becomes scratchier over time (around 1 year), that it has to do something with oxidation. Is that true?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97026.0
Should I be worried?

Last edited: