[SOLVED] Opinions on best memory/tweaks for a Taichi/Ryzen 5800x/Nvidia 3070 build?

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I am working on putting together a new clx rig and was wondering if the G.Skill 3600 Neo 4x8gb is worth the extra money or would a 3200 Trident Z RGB 2x16 kit work well enough. Here is a link to my build so far, any opinions on tweaks I could make to get more bang for the buck would be appreciated. Planning on doing a fair bit of gaming but primary use is Photoshop and video processing > https://www.clxgaming.com/gaming-pc/gmra00000017mk/configure?cartId=_biy049tpb&hashId=_dr3dt40lv

Solution
The more sticks you add,the more difficult is to get the advertised speed on ram sticks.
Between dual and quad channel as much as i saw in gaming test on yt there isnt such a difference.
Plus if you go the 2x16gb route you have 2 more slots available,so i would go for 2x16.
The more sticks you add,the more difficult is to get the advertised speed on ram sticks.
Between dual and quad channel as much as i saw in gaming test on yt there isnt such a difference.
Plus if you go the 2x16gb route you have 2 more slots available,so i would go for 2x16.

Solution

It would not be quad channel, it’s 2 dimms per channel in dual channel. That cpu/motherboard like most consumer setups only supports dual channel.

Reactions: Dj0gany

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Yea the building tool is limiting the parts I can select because I am from Canada rather than USA so I can't get the NEO cards in 16GB sizes on this build for some reason - and they are C18 while the older Z RGB cards are a bit slower on the mhz but are C16. I keep seeing people complaining about stability problems when using 3600 RAM even in the AMD/Ryzen setups so I thought 3200 would be the safest best even if it cost me a bit of speed. My current rig is an older Qosmio gaming laptop with 2x8gb of well-worn RAM and a Geforce GTX 770 running on an ancient i7-4900mq chip so either way it is going to be like upgrading from a canoe to a UFO :)

Yea the building tool is limiting the parts I can select because I am from Canada rather than USA so I can't get the NEO cards in 16GB sizes on this build for some reason - and they are C18 while the older Z RGB cards are a bit slower on the mhz but are C16. I keep seeing people complaining about stability problems when using 3600 RAM even in the AMD/Ryzen setups so I thought 3200 would be the safest best even if it cost me a bit of speed. My current rig is an older Qosmio gaming laptop with 2x8gb of well-worn RAM and a Geforce GTX 770 running on an ancient i7-4900mq chip so either way it is going to be like upgrading from a canoe to a UFO :)
If you go with the 3200MHz you can probably raise the voltages a bit and get higher speeds.I've never done that but i've heard people have done it before.

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
If you go with the 3200MHz you can probably raise the voltages a bit and get higher speeds.I've never done that but i've heard people have done it before.
Yea I was looking into overclocking RAM but from what I gather it probably isn't worth the hassle because the gains are marginal in a green build. I might take another look but I am having a hard time finding anyone that is running a similar build to the one I am intending becasue the parts are newer, so I am sort of building blind and hoping I get components that play nice together

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Also, if anyone has dealt with CLX/Cybertron gaming before and has comments on them as a builder I would love to hear it. I haven't been in the market looking for a tower since the old Dell days but they seemed like a better option than NZXT or attempting to put everything together myself, even if they are on the pricier side of things. Don't even get me started on the garbage Amazon builds... ;)

Reactions: Dj0gany
Yea I was looking into overclocking RAM but from what I gather it probably isn't worth the hassle because the gains are marginal in a green build. I might take another look but I am having a hard time finding anyone that is running a similar build to the one I am intending becasue the parts are newer, so I am sort of building blind and hoping I get components that play nice together
It should