Opinions on build for gaming/programming and which CPU to use

brainplot

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum.
I'm planning to build my first PC by this Christmas; I will use it merely for gaming and programming, as a computer science student at University.

I've been spending a few days on the web and I've come up with this build https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/MhtRZ8.
I don't dislike the Kaby Lake Intel's line up but, as far as I've heard, the new Coffee Lake series seems to be compatible with the 370 chipset only thus I've decided to opt for one of those as I don't want to get an old motherboard before even buying one.

However, I have some questions. The new Intel's chips seem to be out of stock pretty much everywhere for now and, those who have one, sell it at crazy prices.
Will this situation become "more stable" over the next few months? How long do we have to wait in order to see the new chips sold at fair prices?

It took me a while to choose between the new i3-8350k and i5-8600k, they both look like very good CPUs, but I went for the latter at the end as I don't plan to build another machine over the next 4-5 years so I'd like something more future-proof. The new i7 seems just too much for me and I can't even afford it.

My budget is about €1000 but I can add at most €200 if needed.

Ok so far I've talked about Intel's chips, but here's kind of the true reason for this thread. You can read opinions about the new Intel's line up all over the web and although many people seem to like it (me included), many other people are despising it because of its price, especially considering the Ryzen CPUs by AMD which seem to have the same performances, or even better ones in some cases, at a lower price.
I've seen a lot of people suggesting any of the latest AMD Ryzen CPUs rather than overpaying for an Intel's chip.

Now, I'm personally not a fan of AMD, and I've always thought that Intel is somehow better and more reliable. Having that said, should we really go for AMD, for the time being? And, if yes, assuming to wait until the new Intel's chips get a lower price, is AMD still the better choice?

P.S. any suggestion about my build or mistakes I might've made is well accepted. Like I said, it's my first build ever :)

brainplot

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017

Thank you! Prices are still too high though. Also there aren't many motherboards to choose from. I'd be better off waiting at least until the next year.

abhishekuikey0907

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

Ok brother

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
The perception that Intel is better is mainly because they have been for the last decade. The old bulldozer chips from AMD weren't very good and Intel took advantage of that leaving Intel as the only real option if you wanted decent performance. Ryzen changes that and is now close enough to Intel to make a compelling case. For purely gaming Intel is still king but if are doing anything that like streaming, video editing, or any other work station tasks AMD has taken the crown. Personally, I build my most recent rig with a Ryzen 1700x and couldn't be happier. Sure I lose 10 to 20% FPS over Intel depending on the game but when I stream or do any editing my CPU barely breaks a sweat. Hope that clears up some thing for you and ultimately it's up to you on what you think you need and what will be better for what applications you're running.

TRENDING THREADS