[SOLVED] Opinions on drive setup

Starcruiser

Honorable
I have a new motherboard I'm installing, a decent X470 board that has 2 M.2 slots.
I've already got a pcie interface card (256 gb) that I'm using as a boot drive on my old pc. I also have a sata interface M.2 drive (275 gb) that I salvaged from a dying computer that is just sitting there.
I already have 2 western digital blue 1 tb drives in raid for added speed to my storage area.

I plan on using my M.2 drive as my boot drive, and I'm leaning towards the pcie card for my OS and then using the sata card for my games.
Do you agree that this is the best configuration? I'm open to opinions and suggestions.

Solution
OS and applications on an NVMe drive in the normal M.2 port. And that IS your 'boot drive'.
Games on the drive in the PCIe slot adapter, or the other M.2 SATA capable port.
Other things on the HDD's.
I have a new motherboard I'm installing, a decent X470 board that has 2 M.2 slots.
I've already got a pcie interface card (256 gb) that I'm using as a boot drive on my old pc. I also have a sata interface M.2 drive (275 gb) that I salvaged from a dying computer that is just sitting there.
I already have 2 western digital blue 1 tb drives in raid for added speed to my storage area.

I plan on using my M.2 drive as my boot drive, and I'm leaning towards the pcie card for my OS and then using the sata card for my games.
Do you agree that this is the best configuration? I'm open to opinions and suggestions.
Does that "decent X470 board " have option for 2nd M.2 to work as NVMe (PCIe x4) ?

Starcruiser

Honorable
Does that "decent X470 board " have option for 2nd M.2 to work as NVMe (PCIe x4) ?
It does as a matter of fact. The first port is PCI-e only but the second is from the chipset and has the option of either PCI-e or sata mode.

In trying to work with parts on hand, however. This upgrade has depleted my "extra" money for now. So for now I have one each PCI-e and sata M.2 drives.

It does as a matter of fact. The first port is PCI-e only but the second is from the chipset and has the option of either PCI-e or sata mode.

In trying to work with parts on hand, however. This upgrade has depleted my "extra" money for now. So for now I have one each PCI-e and sata M.2 drives.
Games will not benefit much from super fast drives but even SATA mode is faster than HDDs even in RAID 0.

Reactions: Starcruiser