Opinions on drive setup

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Ok. I'm building a new system. I have two 74GB Raptors right now. I'm unsure of whether or not I want to just use one Raptor for the OS and the other for games, or if I want to buy a 250GB (SATA 3.0 16MB cache with perpendicular recording) to use as the system drive and run the Raptors in RAID 0 for games.

Also in this PC will be 2 160GB drives in RAID0 for bulk storage.

CJK79

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Hi there,

I'm new to these forums, but quite experienced with computers and such. I've understood that it's best to keep windows apart from your programs. I'm contradicting myself on this one as I have windows and all my programs installed on the same disc...

So, I suppose it would be smartest to have windows on one Raptor, programs on the other, and then have larger drives for storage.

Or maby you could RAID 0 the two Raptors and have them as a combined windows/program drive, and it should be pretty dagn fast too...

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
There is little and arguable gain with Raptors in a raid setup. As far as gaming goes, you will also see little difference because of the variables the rely on actual game play. Like CJK79 said, best practice would be to segregate the OS and place Applications and such on the drive. You will see load r\rw performances across the board.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I already planned that. I'm just trying to decide on which drive the OS will be on.

And to me RAID 0 on your system drive is dumb.

On my current PC I have an 80GB system drive and my games on a 320GB RAID 0 array with two 160GB SATA drives.