Opinions on ethernet surge protectors

train_wreck

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Just looking for the community's opinion on surge protecting ethernet. Specifically, I've got an APC Back-UPS 1500 that comes with an integrated ethernet surge protector - 2 ethernet ports on the back of it. In my case, i've got an outdoor run of ~250 feet from the main switch inside my house to an access point in an external building, and figured that wire might be good to have protected, in case of lightning strikes & such. Seems like a good case to use it on.

Thoughts?

Solution
I've seen them for phone, but not Cat5.

If you really want a chance of protecting it, you probably need a lightning arrester, like TV antennas use to use.
They just clamp on to the outside of the cable, and are connected directly to a ground rod.

No surge protector made, can protect against the thousands of volts lightning has.

millwright

Distinguished
I've seen them for phone, but not Cat5.

If you really want a chance of protecting it, you probably need a lightning arrester, like TV antennas use to use.
They just clamp on to the outside of the cable, and are connected directly to a ground rod.

No surge protector made, can protect against the thousands of volts lightning has.

Solution

train_wreck

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

essentially a lightning rod?

word. I've got it installed now; i'm not seeing any kind of added latency or bandwidth impaction. Your point is valid about not REALLY being able to stop a lightning strike, but if it were to strike, I would rather it destroy the UPS than the switch & potentially everything connected to it.

millwright

Distinguished
Yes lightning rods use the exact same ground rods as electrical systems.

The lightning rod would be your Cat5 wire in this case.

No guarantee what soever that a UPS can stop it, and probably won't.

You can't predict lightning.
I have a friend on a hill, that get hit by lightning regularly.
So bad, he has a full set of lightning rods.

The last time he got hit, (with Lightning rods installed) it took out the network card ONLY.
Nothing else. This is after it went through his modem and router, without damage.
No lightning protection on his network cable.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Your fear is justified. Because a strike to one building can act like a lightning rod connected to electronics in the other building.

Read APC's specification numbers rather than believe a subjective phrase: 'surge protection'. How many joules doe the APC absorb? Hundreds? Surges that do damage are hundreds of thousands of joules. So yes, it is surge protection. Near zero protection inferior to what is typically in all Ethernet interfaces. They hope you ignore numbers since that increases profits. And gets others to recommend an inferior and more expensive solution.

Another is doing exactly same. Explained are the technicals to learn and done to have protection from any typically destructive surge ... including direct lightning strikes.
Read "Ethernet surge protection and grounding" at:
http://www.electricalforum.co.uk/showthread.php/2645-Ethernet-surge-protection-and-grounding?goto=newpost