Opinions on First Build

omarelsh

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
This is my first time building my own computer, and I was wondering what you all thought. Does it all go together well, is it a good price for the performance I am getting?

Basically, I'm building a gaming computer, I don't want to overclock, I want to buy components that will last me, since this is a completely new build, and that I'll be able to upgrade in the future if need be.

Any suggestions are appreciated, since this is my first purchase, I want it to be as good as possible, but I don't want it to be over the top.

Thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H87M-Plus/CSM Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($255.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.94 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1054.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 15:28 EDT-0400)

Solution
Meh. There are plenty of decent mATX boards out there. In particular, I would not hesitate to use an Asus "CSM" board.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
Heres a few changes, ive added changed the motherboard to a full ATX mobo that supports SLI so that you could add in another GTX760 in the future if you needed to:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($60.59 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.94 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $991.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 17:09 EDT-0400)

Yes, the Antec is a good one, but compare its Newegg reviews to the Seasonic one. Seasonic's own brand is better.

You can't judge a product by it's reviews on newegg...
Antec HCG is a great high quality psu, just as good as Seasonic.

@OP: That's a great build, IMO.

@ps3hacker12: No...I wouldn't even touch the Corsair CX series for SLI. The Corsair CX psus are not high quality, and using it for SLI is a horrible idea.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

The CX600M has great reviews actually, but ive swapped it out for a PSU that has 4xPCI-E cables.

They are the same PSU! Newegg reviews are generally consumer-fluff.
ps3hacker12 has some decent points about the motherboard, if you think you might want to run two cards, but the non-modular Corsair CX is an inferior PSU; all of the CX line are made by CWT, but the non-modular ones were made with some inferior Samxon capacitors that don't like heat and are known for early failure. Fine in light-duty office builds, I would not put one in a gamer. Otoh, the modular ones use all-Japanese capacitors and are fine.

The CX are meant for budget builds. They are no where near the high quality line, but they are definitely the best budget psu (the CX430 hovers around the $20 price sometimes).
The PSU the OP listed is higher quality than any of the ones you've suggested.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

Yeah, thats why I chose the modular one, but ive switched it out now anyway :)

But yes ofcourse the OPs PSU is superior and is better and should get it at such a great price.

Hmmm, I thought the original selection was the non-modular. No matter, since you've chosen a different one. For any single GPU though, I'd keep the original PSU. The Silverstone is made by Sirtec, which has been known to cut some corners on component quality, although I don't know the specifics of that particular model.
Edit: I found a review with dissection of the 500W model, and it uses a Taiwanese 85C capacitor on the PFC circuit. Better units have 105C Japanese caps.

omarelsh

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks a lot for your opinions. So I should keep it the same unless I may want to add another graphics card in the future? Can I ask, would that be more beneficial than just upgrading the card to a nicer one?

Typically not. Not all games support SLI well, or may not right when they are released. SLI will use a lot more power, and produce a lot more heat. Sometimes it can be cheaper than a comparable single card, but unless you plan to run multiple monitors or a 4K monitor, a single card is powerful enough anyway for 1920x1080.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

But atleast go for an ATX board if you plan on an ATX system/case.