Build Advice Opinions on Intel build for Video Editing/Encoding (and later gaming) for a friend.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I am helping build a PC for my friend. His primary use will be Video Editing/Encoding, and his secondary use will be for gaming, though due to the limited budget and video encoding requiring a good CPU and amount of memory, we decided to actually hold off on the GPU/gaming for now as that's not as important as the video editing, and just drop in a GPU later when he can afford it. He has a budget of $1000-$1200. So before we pull the plug and start buying the parts, I wanted to ask people's opinions on the parts list.

RGB is not important and we will not be overclocking. Also, there were many constraints and special cases I dealt with that I want to cover before mentioning the parts lists since I am sure these will be some of the more common questions people will have about the parts list:

1: Please, no arguments about Intel/AMD, please. I have answered this question dozens of times while I was piecing this thing together and have many reasons not to go AMD, but among them some of the biggest are that: 1. I can get a 9700K for $30 cheaper ($300) than I could find a 3700x ($330) anywhere, 2. The 9700K seemed to be roughly the same performance at the 3700x and in many gaming benchmarks even surpass it by a bit. 3: A lot of this build at this point has been centered around the motherboard, and having to change that would require changing half the parts, as even the case was specifically chosen around this motherboard. 4: But most important of all, as mentioned preivously the parts list has no GPU. We are planning to put one in later, but Ryzens don't have an IGP while Intel's CPUs do, and tossing in a GPU would require me to completely discard my entire parts list just to fit one into the budget.... which will be tossed away anyway later when a proper GPU is purchased later, on top of that being a waste I would have to start completely over, so AMD isn't really an option here.

2: Obviously, if there is a good reason I should not choose some part, there is a much better similarly priced alternative, or other such advice I would want to know, that is the whole purpose of this post of course. That being said, I spent several days researching all these before I picked them, so please try to give me advice on the parts list itself instead of just completely ignoring the list and spending a few minutes putting together a completely different list. I am only saying this because people have done that before and it really does not help, especially when most of the time they don't even take the mentioned budget or constraints/uses into consideration.

3: Yes, I know there are no accessories listed. We were just focusing on trying to budget in the best internals we could for now, just the essentials needed to boot the system and edit video, he already has a mouse and we are doing to see if we can find a cheap keyboard while at Microcenter for now. I have a spare monitor he can borrow in the meantime until he can get a decent one... good monitors are not cheap and would take a large chunk out of the budget otherwise. I already have a valid unused Windows key that I don't mind letting him have.

Anyway, thank you if you still got through that rambling wall of text, sorry about that, here is the parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y8C4tg

A few explanations as to why I picked these, since that might help people give me better opinions or recommendations on any changes I could make:

CPU:
As mentioned before, I wanted to not scale back the CPU in order to budget in a lower-tier GPU as that would impact the video editing/encoding, so I went with the best CPU I could get in the budget that also had an IGP. We live near a Microcenter that sells the CPU for $300 if we buy it in-person, and an additional $30 off if we get a motherboard with it.

Cooler:
The 9700K does not come with one, and I heard (though with conflicting reports) that the 9700K runs hot, so I tried to get a pretty decent cooler that was not absurd overkill like the Noctua D15 for example. Noctua always seems to be on the top or close to the to on most reviews and have been for years... although I was surprised how the U14S was only a little cheaper than the flagship D15. I was considering the Cooler Master Hyper 212 as well due to how much cheaper it is... but it's cooling is not as great and I am worried if it can keep up with a 9700K running at full stock power, as well as worried about the paste that would come with it, I know that the paste that Noctua coolers comes with is one of the best without going into excessive overkill territory.

Motherboard:
Usually I prefer ASUS motherboards, and as this is a 9th gen Intel, I wanted to go with a Z390 chipset. However, I read reviews that ASUS dropped the ball with "Faked VRMs" this generation of motherboards ( https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/01/06/asus_rog_maximus_xi_hero_z390_motherboard_review/7 ), so after more researching and reviews Gigabyte seemed to be the second best bet, and the one that seemed to be the best without hitting extremely high prices was the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master or the Ultra. I am a little worried about the Master however, some of the reviews on Newegg claimed quality issues with it (I didn't see those for the Ultra, but it also had less reviews so it might not have had as many people use it) but I have no idea how true those user reviews would be as none of the professional reviews I saw talked about this, many seemed to love the board. I was originally considering the Ultra as it's basically a slightly cheaper Master with slightly less features, but it's not always in stock at Microcenter for that bundle deal I mentioned while the Master is. We will still decide which one to go with there if we need any more wiggle-room in the budget.

RAM:
There was three major types I was choosing between, Patriot Viper Steel ( PVS432G320C6K ), Corsair Vengance ( CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 ), and G.Skill Trident Z ( F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW ), all three were around the same price-point give-or-take around $10-20. After asking around and getting opinions I decided to go with the G.Skill, it's what I also used myself in my build as they seemed the best option at the time so that works for me. Though I do wonder if 32GB is overkill, the biggest way to save on the budget would be to get the 16GB version, but we are going to have to upgrade it to 32GB or even higher one day as this computer is going to have to last a long time. (Another reason I wanted to not go lower-end on any of the parts if I could fit it in the budget... the Master version of that motherboard for example can go up to 128GB while the Ultra goes up to 64GB... although I don't know how useful a 9700K might be by the time 128GB is actually reasonable... by then it might be time for a while new build anyway).

SSD:
Yes I know, why SSD and not NVME? That's actually because of a total screwup that's my fault. This SSD is the one part which was already purchased in preparation for building a PC last Black Friday (plans fell through and got delayed, which is why we are doing it now), I didn't know NVME was a thing until recently, which is why I recommended this SSD back then. So we can't really change that as we already have it and it's way too late to return it. That one is set in stone. I was hoping we could also add a HDD for mass storage.... but not sure how much we can go over budget, we will be looking at the OEM drives that Microcenter has while we are there for the CPU/Motherboard.

Case:
He mentioned that he wanted to keep the option open to install a Blu-Ray drive in it eventually, so I was looking for a case with a 5-inch bay. The motherboard also has a USB-C header and while not critically important, I wanted to see if I could get a case that fit both requirements and more or less would be compatible with most of the headers of the motherboard without costing a lot. (Sadly, this invalidates the case I initially chose, the LIAN LI PC-O11, due to having no 5 inch bay). This case is the best I found that fits all those. A 5 inch bay, USB 2.0 ports, USB 3.0 ports, and now comes in a version with the USB-C upgrade already installed (Was originally an additional add-on). A little worried about temperatures though, it seems to be between the same performance to slightly worse performance than similar cases in terms of temperatures, although by removing some of the soundproofing you can increase that by about an additional 10-12 degrees. The only other one I found was a very very nice case by Cooler Master.... that was $300.

PSU:
One of the most important parts you should NEVER skimp out on IMO, a bad PSU can wreck the rest of your system. SeaSonic seemed to top most of the reviews and charts yet again that I read, and I use SeaSonic myself, been running a 2012 build nearly 24/7 flawlessly. The PRIME/Titanium line seems to be the best SeaSonic has to offer right now, so I went with that. When trying to decide on how many Watts I would need, PSU calculators seemed to show around 480-550, so to be safe I wanted to go 650, but the 750 wasn't that much more expensive and figured had good wiggle room for future updates and I wanted to account for aging since as I said he would be using this for a very long time... plus some people were recommending I would need at least 750 anyway... although I don't know if they might have just been exaggerating.

So... that's it. Yeah I know, sorry about the wall of text.... again. That is what I am trying to build and all the reasons why I chose the parts I did. Does anyone have any additional comments, opinions, or ideas to make or know of why I should/should not use any of these parts or have a better replacement in mind?

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Err, anyone?

I had some people suggest to me that since video editing will be a factor too, I might want to consider a 9900K over a 9700K. I thought this was not possible within the budget due to how expensive the CPU is, but seems I can do it if I scale back the motherboard and case, as well as get the PSU from Amazon which is a bit cheaper.

You want my advice? You are spending way too much on the PSU and the Case and the motherboard to achieve your goals. You are overanalyzing the problems with temps on the CPU with the case and with the potential coolers you were talking about. I could type a similarly long list as your 1. 2. 3. part on everything you have said. I will be making a build for you shortly. By the way, you can afford to go with an AMD setup because the stock coolers on them are great so you don't need to buy an aftermarket one and instead spend that money on a temporary video card in the 50-60 dollar range. (Or a low-end Graphics card as I discovered).

Last edited:
Err, anyone?

I had some people suggest to me that since video editing will be a factor too, I might want to consider a 9900K over a 9700K. I thought this was not possible within the budget due to how expensive the CPU is, but seems I can do it if I scale back the motherboard and case, as well as get the PSU from Amazon which is a bit cheaper.
So you can get an external USB Blueray player for about 40 dollars down the road. The motherboard that I have selected has all manner of USB types on the back be it 3.2 type A or type C. Here is the build I made that comes with a graphics card that can be used for moderate gaming at 1080p:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $1204.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-11 23:44 EDT-0400

This is the build with a Graphics card for display and light gaming at 1080p:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 550 - 512 2 GB Phantom Gaming Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $1169.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-11 23:51 EDT-0400

Reactions: Finstar

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I appreciate that you want to help me, but this is exactly the very opposite of everything I requested and pretty much everything I asked not to do. You ignored everything I was looking for, even something as simple as a case with a 5 inch bay, just to completely toss out my entire part list and create your own list rather than commenting about the parts list I had posted.

I appreciate that you want to help me, but this is exactly the very opposite of everything I requested and pretty much everything I asked not to do. You ignored everything I was looking for, even something as simple as a case with a 5 inch bay, just to completely toss out my entire part list and create your own list rather than commenting about the parts list I had posted.
You do not need an internal 5-inch bay when external blueray players exist. The 3900x is significantly more performance for your friends desired purpose that also comes with a cooler that is appropriate for stock clocks. I took the time to read your entire post that apparently nobody else wanted to put the effort into reading. You were obsessing on every minute detail of the temps and the CPU cooler et cetera. You wanted the opinion of people who on a daily basis help others do what you asked for and have experience with many successful builds and that is what I am offering.

Tell me your exact concerns with the builds I posted and I will happily either explain why its a non-issue, or address the issue with changing the build within the confines of the budget.

Reactions: Finstar

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
So you read my entire post... but still did exactly everything I said I did not want people to do.

And now you are trying to tell me what I want, like not getting a case with a 5 inch bay (which really should be the least of issues here) rather than actually trying to help me build what I was looking for.

You said it yourself, I already detailed what I am looking for quite well, and it's honestly somewhat insulting that you read all that and basically just brushed it all off as "Eh, you're overthinking it", and then did everything I said I did not want, completely tossing out my parts list, trying to jury-rig an AMD build, and not trying to give any advice on the build at all instead of just completely tossing it out.

I am not going to get a case without a 5 inch bay, and really I can think of about 4 or 5 other alternatives that are in the $50-90 range anyway so it's ridiculous that you are insisting on one without i t.,

I do not want to waste money on a temporary GPU just because AMD's CPUs don't have an iGPU.

I don't even know why you chose more expensive ram that appears to even have slower timings, it has RGB but I mentioned he does not care about that.

The SSD would still be part of the budget cost anyway which you ignored.

I can't even find the 3900x for sale anywhere by me, it's sold out in the link you mentioned, as well as at Newegg and Amazon.

Can you please actually help me with what I actually asked instead of insisting "My way or nothing"? I am more than open to changing many of the parts, I already have looked into swapping many of them around, and have attempted several AMD as well, but the lack of an iGPU really is a huge issue for me. Can we please NOT get into an Intel/AMD argument?

If you refuse to help me without it being AMD, then fine, don't, but don't take the entire parts list that I took dozens of hours across several days trying to research, scoff it off as "You're overthinking it", completely toss it into the garbage, do EXACTLY every thing I asked people not to do, and then act as if you are doing me a favor. I could not possibly appreciate that any less.

Before I address your the issues you had I made a very similar 9900K Intel build for you:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($493.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1201.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-12 00:49 EDT-0400

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Not too far off from what I was planning for 9900K, but I still need to research the motherboard/case I had chosen for that a bit more:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZyJQ3b

The Intel bundle deals from Microcenter help. I could drop the PSU to the Focus Plus Gold for more room to put in a storage HDD in addition to the SSD, was hoping I could drop to a Prime Gold instead of Focus Gold, but the 750Watt versions of those appear to be sold out.

So you read my entire post... but still did exactly everything I said I did not want people to do.

And now you are trying to tell me what I want, like not getting a case with a 5 inch bay (which really should be the least of issues here) rather than actually trying to help me build what I was looking for.

You said it yourself, I already detailed what I am looking for quite well, and it's honestly somewhat insulting that you read all that and basically just brushed it all off as "Eh, you're overthinking it", and then did everything I said I did not want, completely tossing out my parts list, trying to jury-rig an AMD build, and not trying to give any advice on the build at all instead of just completely tossing it out.

I am not going to get a case without a 5 inch bay, and really I can think of about 4 or 5 other alternatives that are in the $50-90 range anyway so it's ridiculous that you are insisting on one without i t.,

I do not want to waste money on a temporary GPU just because AMD's CPUs don't have an iGPU.

I don't even know why you chose more expensive ram that appears to even have slower timings, it has RGB but I mentioned he does not care about that.

The SSD would still be part of the budget cost anyway which you ignored.

I can't even find the 3900x for sale anywhere by me, it's sold out in the link you mentioned, as well as at Newegg and Amazon.

Can you please actually help me with what I actually asked instead of insisting "My way or nothing"? I am more than open to changing many of the parts, I already have looked into swapping many of them around, and have attempted several AMD as well, but the lack of an iGPU really is a huge issue for me. Can we please NOT get into an Intel/AMD argument?
I read your post and actually did exactly what you wanted. And I quote, "2: Obviously, if there is a good reason I should not choose some part, there is a much better similarly priced alternative, or other such advice I would want to know, that is the whole purpose of this post of course."

The 3900x may be hard to find but it does do more than a 9700k or 9900k for that matter as far as long term Video Editing/Encoding.

The Internal blueray player that you seem to require will more than likely be used either less than 5 times or 10 times a week for 10 years. It is my experience and opinion that an external player is more beneficial in every way to achieve its purpose.

I said you were obsessing on the minute details of the CPU temps because you were, I do not say these things just cause. The 9700k with that cooler at stock settings will never exceed 75c yet you were concerned that your picked 140 (edited) dollar case with insane airflow would need to be stripped of its noise-canceling panels to achieve better temps.

As far as me "trying to jury-rig an AMD build," I have some choice words I'm refraining to use because I know what I am talking about and you are insulting my intelligence with petty comments such as this.

I put that case in the build because of its price point and not its aesthetics or functionality. Cases are purely personal preference. I put a 90 dollar case that I like there as a place holder for you to spend a similar amount of money to stay within the budget and build I made.

You do not want to waste 50-90 dollars on a GPU you can easily resell but you would spend 90 dollars on a cooler for intel because they do not include one with their CPU's that are worth anything. At least the 90 you spend on a GPU with the 3900x has the added benefit of allowing the secondary purpose of the build, gaming.

The RAM I chose was significantly faster than the kit you chose for 20 dollars more. I am not going to explain to you how timings and how the speed of RAM work, just know that CL 16 3200 RAM is slower than CL 18 3600 RAM in every single scenario.

The 3900x is in and out of stock every day on multiple sites, however, you can always get it for 500 when they do come in stock. I got My 3900x within a couple of days of it coming out when it was even harder to get so I am sure if you tried you could get one as well.

Just to be clear I am not doing this what-so-ever:
"If you refuse to help me without it being AMD, then fine, don't, but don't take the entire parts list that I took dozens of hours across several days trying to research, scoff it off as "You're overthinking it", completely toss it into the garbage, do EXACTLY everything I asked people not to do, and then act as if you are doing me a favor. I could not possibly appreciate that any less."

You obviously care a lot and made a build you believed in, I get that. But when you ask a forum of people that do this regularly they are going to give you advice. You are reading into what I said way too much as I meant it only as far as the context of the 9700k temp issues with the case and the CPU cooler decision is a non-issue.

Please, if I did not make anything clear or you have any follow up questions about my reasoning for the specific parts I picked, let me know. I type slow for medical reasons so please allow me time to respond. This took me almost 45 minutes to type.

Last edited:
Not too far off from what I was planning for 9900K, but I still need to research the motherboard/case I had chosen for that a bit more:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZyJQ3b

The Intel bundle deals from Microcenter help. I could drop the PSU to the Focus Plus Gold for more room to put in a storage HDD in addition to the SSD, was hoping I could drop to a Prime Gold instead of Focus Gold, but the 750Watt versions of those appear to be sold out.
That is a much more balanced to the budget and more focused on the goal type of build than the first. You are on the right track. The perceived value that you attach to the efficiency rating of the Seasonic PSUs are not as important at this budget if electricity costs are not a primary concern. The Gold Seasonic PSUs are very well built and are just as reliable as Seasonic's more efficient parts. If you can fit more into the build because you drop an efficiency rating on the PSU to upgrade or add a needed part its almost always worth it.

Sorry but this is a tech forum, not an echo chamber.

You wanted comments on your parts list so here's mine:

9900k, outperformed by the 3900x

NH-D14s, Enough for the i9 but would not be needed with Ryzen.

z390 AORUS ultra, a nice board

G.skill Trident, somewhat overpriced but ok if you like the colors.

860 evo, A good choice

Case, up to preference

Seasonic PRIME ultra platinum 750W, Complete overkill for that system.

Here's the changes i'd do to the list
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 550 - 512 2 GB Phantom Gaming Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($91.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1218.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-12 11:09 EDT-0400

Reactions: helper800

You wanted comments on your parts list so here's mine:

860 evo, A good choice

Case, up to preference

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought similarly. Nice build btw, though I prefer to spend a bit less on the mobo.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought similarly. Nice build btw, though I prefer to spend a bit less on the mobo.
I put a bit more money towards it since it was a high end Gigabyte like in op's build.
There's still potential to cut a sizeable chunk of money without losing any performance.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.85 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1058.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-12 13:01 EDT-0400

Reactions: helper800
The reason the 3900X keeps getting tossed around is that depending on the software being used, it has the potential to encode video quite a bit faster than the other options. Software that is able to make full use of its 12 cores with 24 threads can potentially finish in nearly half the time compared to a 9700K with its 8 threads. And for such heavily-multithreaded tasks, a 3700X usually tends to perform close to a 9900K. The 3rd-gen Ryzen processors are also less power hungry and put out less heat due to their newer manufacturing process.

Lightly-threaded performance shouldn't be far behind either, since 3rd-gen Ryzen increased IPC by around 15% on average, outperforming Intel's current processors on a clock-per-clock basis, with mostly just the somewhat higher clocks of Intel's high-end CPUs allowing them to maintain a slight edge at such tasks.

And while Intel's higher-end processors may still hold a slight edge for gaming, it's rather minimal, and only holds true in situations where the CPU is what's limiting performance, which is typically not the case for most modern games running at high settings. If the system will eventually be paired with a "mid-range" graphics card at 1080p, or a "high-end" card at 1440p or higher, gaming performance between all of these CPUs should be very similar.

Of course, until a graphics card is added, the system will not be particularly useful for running modern games. Even a $120-$130 RX 570 will offer nearly 10 times the graphics performance of the integrated graphics built into Intel's CPUs, which is why people are so willing to throw one in for just 10% of the build's budget. I don't think I would bother with an RX 550 though, seeing as it only offers about a third the performance of an RX 570, while not costing all that much less.

An Intel build is certainly an option, and some software may be better optimized for their CPUs, but the reason Ryzen keeps getting brought up is due to it arguably offering somewhat better value at this time.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I didn't come here for pats on the back or echo chambers, I have revised my parts list after all, just pointing out that AMD (namely, it's lack of an iGPU) comes with a few hurdles. that would normally not be there in a setup that would have a GPU already in the budget.

I have setup multiple AMD-based parts lists I have been looking at, but so far have not been able to put one together within the budget without compromising a part too much that I did not want to scale back that far. I will keep trying.

That's kind of the problem, he wants it for two things, video editing and gaming... and the problem is the 3900x beats the 9900k most of the time in video editing, but the 9900k beats the 3700x most of the time in gaming.... was surprised to find out that apparently the difference is big for of all things, an old game like Starcraft II, one of the main games he wanted to play, especially since apparently the iGPU would have been fine with this game from what I have seen.

Wait, D14S or U14S? Those are different coolers, I had the U14S listed, and the D14 has been replaced with the D15 nowadays.

Yeah, it seems that there is a x570 equivalent of these boards (HAven't checked reviews if there are any major differences between the z390 version other than the obvious Intel/Amd) but for some weird reason they cost more than the z390 versions.

Wait, which ones? The ones I was looking at are just black and white with no RGB, the ones helper800 mentioned have RGB.

Case, up to preference

Yeah, there are several I can scale down to, shame to give up USB-C but it's just far too niche a feature in cases right now.

Yeah, been hearing a lot about that. Issue is the gold version seems to be harder to find, and 650Watts feels like it would be cutting it a bit close, especially since I know he will be using this thing for a very long time and might upgrade it with more components later. Wanted to stick with at least 750 watts.

The Prime Ultra Gold version of the 750 appears to be sold out everywhere, as well as the Focus Plus Gold.... and the only place I seem to be able to find the plain Focus Gold 750 is SuperBiiz.... which I saw several complaints about orders taking weeks to arrive.

Availability of parts has also been an issue in why my list looks like this right now.

Case in point.... the 3900x is currently sold out everywhere, which is why all my current AMD versions of the build lists are 3700x, would like to create 3900x versions but they are not available anywhere.

.. and that's an issue because I can further reduce costs by buying those bundle deals at Microcenter... issue is they need to be in stock first...

Here's the changes i'd do to the list
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($91.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1218.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-12 11:09 EDT-0400

I like the parts list you assembled by the way, only real complaints are the 6750 Watt PSU over a 750 Watt one, and I am not sure about that motherboard, was looking at the Aorus X570 Ultra instead.... also wish that 3900x was actually in stock because I DO want to put together a list with Microcenter's bundle discounts in mind based on one.

The reason the 3900X keeps getting tossed around is that depending on the software being used, it has the potential to encode video quite a bit faster than the other options. Software that is able to make full use of its 12 cores with 24 threads can potentially finish in nearly half the time compared to a 9700K with its 8 threads. And for such heavily-multithreaded tasks, a 3700X usually tends to perform close to a 9900K. The 3rd-gen Ryzen processors are also less power hungry and put out less heat due to their newer manufacturing process.

Lightly-threaded performance shouldn't be far behind either, since 3rd-gen Ryzen increased IPC by around 15% on average, outperforming Intel's current processors on a clock-per-clock basis, with mostly just the somewhat higher clocks of Intel's high-end CPUs allowing them to maintain a slight edge at such tasks.

Yeah I know, although doesn't the 3900x outperform the 9900k in the majority of video editing and encoding applications? I believe the two main applications he uses himself are Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas, but I am not sure if he uses anything else.

This is not professional work by the way just to clarify, it's something he does from home as a second job, so it's not like I am talking about a NLE setup or anything, which is why gaming is also going to be a thing, gaming would not even be a consideration if this was some professional workstation setup.

And while Intel's higher-end processors may still hold a slight edge for gaming, it's rather minimal, and only holds true in situations where the CPU is what's limiting performance, which is typically not the case for most modern games running at high settings. If the system will eventually be paired with a "mid-range" graphics card at 1080p, or a "high-end" card at 1440p or higher, gaming performance between all of these CPUs should be very similar.

Yeah, it was different on a per-game basis, but the CPU-bound games seemed to have some drastic differences, up to 20FPS or more difference at times... Starcraft II being one of them, which again is one of the main games he wants to play on it.

Of course, until a graphics card is added, the system will not be particularly useful for running modern games.

Yeah I know, when I was considering this when making this build, I asked him if he we would want to hold off on the GPU for now and just go all out on all the other parts then put in a GPU later for gaming, and he asked if the iGPU would be enough for Starcraft II in the meantime until we could get a GPU for more involved games. From what I have read online and videos I have seen, the iGPU should have been fine.

Even a $120-$130 RX 570 will offer nearly 10 times the graphics performance of the integrated graphics built into Intel's CPUs, which is why people are so willing to throw one in for just 10% of the build's budget. I don't think I would bother with an RX 550 though, seeing as it only offers about a third the performance of an RX 570, while not costing all that much less.

Well, really, all the GPU needs to do for now is just display a desktop and run Starcraft II until we can put something proper such as a 2070 Super in it. Putting in a GPU right now would basically just be a loss as it would need to get tossed out once we have a proper GPU in there anyway, so as long as it would not perform worse than the 9900K's iGPU it's fine. Just a bit of a waste.

An Intel build is certainly an option, and some software may be better optimized for their CPUs, but the reason Ryzen keeps getting brought up is due to it arguably offering somewhat better value at this time.

Yeah, I get that. If this was a higher budget build with a GPU that would be a total non-issue, or if this was a purely 100% a gaming build, the lack of an iGPU is normally not an issue for 99% of people as they would put in a GPU anyway, NOT putting in a GPU and relying on the iGPU (for now) is a rather edge case, I realize.