jnjnilson6

Distinguished
What do you think about the ditching of the brilliant Core i3 / i5 / i7 / i9 naming in favor of Intel Core Ultra? This will start with Arrow Lake chips later this year. Meteor Lake has already adopted the new naming for Mobile CPUs.

What would you have preferred? The new naming or the old naming; especially keeping in mind the generations are flying unconditionally upwards.

Do write up and
Thank you!

PS. I personally feel a little nostalgic about the old naming because it has been with us for a long time and proved tremendously important in terms of true Processing power; bringing about a generation tinged in incandescent beauty regarding hardware and software; graphics which we had not seen before; rendering and performance which kept us aghast through more than a decade; the ambient and agile hardware world taking in a breath.

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Well, the new scheme will take some getting used to. But what did change? Cut the last two zeroes of the current scheme, and it will be similar to the new one.

It was bound to happen eventually. If anything i am more annoyed at AMD refusing to have a sensible naming scheme than at Intel for changing their own.

What i will miss is the leading two digits identifying the generation, but they're updated so frequently it's kinda become less important.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Endre

Honorable
What do you think about the ditching of the brilliant Core i3 / i5 / i7 / i9 naming in favor of Intel Core Ultra? This will start with Arrow Lake chips later this year. Meteor Lake has already adopted the new naming for Mobile CPUs.

What would you have preferred? The new naming or the old naming; especially keeping in mind the generations are flying unconditionally upwards.

Do write up and
Thank you!

PS. I personally feel a little nostalgic about the old naming because it has been with us for a long time and proved tremendously important in terms of true Processing power; bringing about a generation tinged in incandescent beauty regarding hardware and software; graphics which we had not seen before; rendering and performance which kept us aghast through more than a decade; the ambient and agile hardware world taking in a breath.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if we'll end up calling their CPUs: Intel - CU5, CU7, CU9, and Intel - C3, C5, C7.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
What I find totally annoying are all the crazy lake names: Arrow Lake, Meteor Lake, Cascade Lake, Sky Lake, Coffee Lake, Cold Lake, Diamond Lake, etc

Can anybody really know which is which and which one denotes a certain product? (Well, aside for our forum expert, Metal Messiah...:cool:

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
PS. I personally feel a little nostalgic about the old naming because it has been with us for a long time and proved tremendously important in terms of true Processing power
Not really when you get into LT processors it can be very deceiving, same as the i3 you would think a 2 core with hyperthreading but now they have 4 cores.

i3 14100
# of Performance-cores 4 # of Efficient-cores 0 Total Threads 8

EDIT To me the worst thing they have done is switch to P & E cores. I could care less about the naming.

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
What I find totally annoying are all the crazy lake names: Arrow Lake, Meteor Lake, Cascade Lake, Sky Lake, Coffee Lake, Cold Lake, Diamond Lake, etc
AFAIK these are only intended as microarchitecture nomenclature, and not an actual marketing label. They're only mentioned at a technical and enthusiast level.

No one calls Windows 95 "Chicago" or Windows 10 "Santorini" except the deep divers.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
AFAIK these are only intended as microarchitecture nomenclature, and not an actual marketing label. They're only mentioned at a technical and enthusiast level.

No one calls Windows 95 "Chicago" or Windows 10 "Santorini" except the deep divers.
Not entirely true. These Lakes are in damn near every article about whichever generation of intels the article is about. So even if they weren't intended to be part of marketing, marketing took over as it likes to do. Everything is subordinate to marketing.
I think the only codename for windows that was heavily hyped was Longhorn but that eventually went away.

It would be ok if they only came out with a new "Lake" 2-3 times per decade. Then they'd be memorable. The way they are, they're like mosquito bites at a summer evening. By the 50th one, i'm past caring and just want it over with.

Reactions: PEnns