Opinions on making my moca setup work.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Hey guys, so I'm completely stumped here and need some help or input. So I ordered a 2 pack of Moca 2.0 adapters so I could reach a very remote room in the house. When I went to install the first adapter in the room with the internet modem, I realized that the coax in the wall was ALREADY split between a TV and the internet modem itself. They're both feeding off of ONE coax outlet.
Simple diagram: https://imgur.com/A8aX0EL

I tried using a 3 way splitter in place of the 2 way that was already there, and the internet speeds were slower than I expected, probably from being split 3 ways.
A diagram of this: https://imgur.com/s4DBHMK

So I'm lost here, what could I do to make this work at full speeds? Would adding a dedicated coax outlet in the wall for my internet modem and NOT having a splitter help me here? Thanks so much in advance, I'm pretty lost at the moment.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

Oh, sorry about that. The PC that's connected directly to the internet modem gets something like 180 megabits down, with the 3 way split, it gets about 50 - 60 megabits down.

USAFRet

Titan

well...

More splitters are never helpful.
And there are some 'splitters' that are better for this than others.

Which specific MOCA devices did you buy?

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

I got some Actiontec ECB6200 devices. A 2 pack. They're under the brand Telus because I got them from Canada. but they are made by Actiontec, it shows that on the back of them.

Would adding a new coax line in the wall be the very same thing as using another splitter? I'm kind of a noob with networking in all honesty.

USAFRet

Titan

A straight coax wire between the two MOCAs is preferable to any splitter.
Router->MOCA->house coax->MOCA->PC

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

Alright, so getting my ISP to come and add a new dedicated coax for my modem would be my best bet at making these devices work effectively correct?

USAFRet

Titan

Well, not really.
If you're going to pay someone to run a new coax, instead pay them to run a dedicated Cat5e.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

Alright so I got it working well! I tried the three way splitter again and the speeds were kinda slow. My router said there was a DHCP error, so I contacted my ISP, and they fixed that. Now my moca adapters are working at full speed! Everything is good at the moment, thanks again!

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

Yeah I'm sure the DHCP error was entirely my fault. I flushed the dns and renewed it a couple time, and then released and renewed my IP. Probably messed up the setup on the ISP side, so entirely my fault. But it works! :D