[SOLVED] Opinions on my first gaming PC? Anything you would change?

Solution
"Basically because everyone is suggesting to do it."
Hoo-boy, those Redditors...
You were chatting it up with a bunch of sheep. The folks with actual know-how weren't there at the time.

"I'd rather spend a little more on something that can handle any game I throw at it."
This I get - to some extent, but:
A)The higher one goes in resolution, the more the workload shifts to the gpu, and the easier the cpu's work becomes. Vice versa in the opposite direction.

B)One of the greatest limitations to all this fancy PC hardware is software. If the devs don't program their games to utilize all these new features that a manufacturer offers with their new products, then what good is it actually?
Those 20 threads in a 10-9; what good are they...
Sep 12, 2020
I do plan on waiting for the new GPU to drop before I purchase. Besides that do you think everything looks good? Really wanting a good first gaming PC that plays like a dream

I do plan on waiting for the new GPU to drop before I purchase. Besides that do you think everything looks good? Really wanting a good first gaming PC that plays like a dream

There are a few things I don't like in that build. You could buy a new Intel CPU 10000 series with a cheaper motherboard. 64GB of RAM? 16 or 32MB is more than enough for a gaming rig.

That Power Supply. 200 dollars for a RM. Get the RMX. It's better and it's cheaper atm.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There is a big price difference between the 10k series and this one. Honestly didn't think it was worth it for just gaming
Well many selections you made didn't make sense for a gaming PC, or just didn't make sense:
-A 9900K? 10600K says hi!
-That 240mm hybrid cooler will be a better match with the 10600K too. Not so much on the 9900K; should be 280mm or larger.
-A 450USD mobo in a gaming PC, but there's a big price difference between 10th and 9th gen... :rolleyes:
-64GBs of ram? GG, people are still getting by with 16GBs. Look no higher than 32GBs.
-The 1TB SSD right next to the 2TB HDD confuses me. I'm thinking the HDD is for the game library, and the SSD is for the OS? A 250-500GB model would've been fine for that. I prefer to keep the OS on a separate drive from everything else, but that's just me.
-Corsair Spec Delta... one of the popular 'hot box' chassis. Not much else to say about this one.
-The Spec Delta already comes with 3 LED fans in the front. You'd only need one more for the rear - the hybrid cooler would be mounted up top, right? The 3pack isn't needed.
¯\(ツ)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reddit... Ok, I get it.

-You made a remark about the price difference between 10th and 9th gen, so why'd you jump all the way to the 10900K?

=This is more of a heads up, but to save yourself a potential problem: do not plug both monitors into the gpu. Plug the secondary monitor into the motherboard so it runs off the cpu's iGPU.
Monitors with different native refresh rates can cause stuttering if they're all plugged in the gpu - frame buffer desync.

Sep 12, 2020
Basically because everyone is suggesting to do it. I'd rather spend a little more on something that can handle any game I throw at it. And thanks for the advice on the monitors. I've never seen duel monitors in person but it looks awesome. Think this will be a powerful rig if it was built like this?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"Basically because everyone is suggesting to do it."
Hoo-boy, those Redditors...
You were chatting it up with a bunch of sheep. The folks with actual know-how weren't there at the time.

"I'd rather spend a little more on something that can handle any game I throw at it."
This I get - to some extent, but:
A)The higher one goes in resolution, the more the workload shifts to the gpu, and the easier the cpu's work becomes. Vice versa in the opposite direction.

B)One of the greatest limitations to all this fancy PC hardware is software. If the devs don't program their games to utilize all these new features that a manufacturer offers with their new products, then what good is it actually?
Those 20 threads in a 10-9; what good are they really? Then what does it actually offer over a 10-7? What does a 10-7 offer over a 10-6?

C)The cpu is going to determine the fps lows and the gpu, the highs. For someone on ultra high refresh, the priority should be having the lows as high as they can get.

TL;DR: At ultra high refresh 1080p, you are entirely cpu and ram frequency bound. The gpu plays 2nd fiddle; you don't need a 3080 here. What good is 500fps(theoretical) if you're still getting dips below 200?
-10600K, overclock the crap out of it. The 10-7 and 10-9 have next to no OC headroom. Intel really pushed the envelope on these 2 chips. The 10-6, with a nice OC on it can match the other 2, and doesn't require as exotic cooling to do it.
I forgot the 10850K was a thing. Pick whichever cpu you think you need though, it is ultimately up to you.

-dual channel, 3600mhz or higher ram. Intel's Skylake, and it's refreshes, continue to scale up in performance with faster ram, even past Ryzen 3000's hard limit of 3733mhz. The scaling diminishes the higher you go though, so your bank's the limit here - oh, and the speeds the motherboard supports too.

-RTX 3070. Already said why.

Solution
Sep 12, 2020
Wow that's allot. At the very beginning I actually wanted a Ryzen 3900. But Intel seemed to get more votes...might I add on reddit again lol. I'm curious what your build opinion would be if you were looking for good gameplay

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I did put a TL;DR near the bottom... LOL.

As far as some people are concerned, Ryzen 3000 does come close at times, but 'close isn't good enough' for certain individuals.
At 1080p or lower, Intel still has the gaming edge. Above that, pick whichever one you want; Intel loses it's speed advantage because the gpu is the limitation most of, if not, all the time.

Me? I play at 1440p, so Intel's offerings are less attractive.
3700X - or whatever the 4000 series equivalent would be.
3600mhz dual channel kit.
RTX 3080. That's the one I have my eye on once reviews are available, but I might just skip this generation too. 1080Ti still does right by me. My first halo card, and hopefully not the last, but if Nvidia keeps up with the stupid price inflation, it might be...