[SOLVED] Opinions on my future upgrades

ownedinthedome

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Hello, I plan on upgrading my system here pretty soon and would like to get some input. I mainly use it for gaming 1440p on a 165hz monitor. Here is my current setup and what I am looking to upgrade:

Video card: 1080ti upgrading to 3080
CPU: i7 3770 upgrading to i7 10700 (never got into overclocking, so figured I would save the $90 unless black friday/cyber monday sales put the K closer in price)
Motherboard: Upgrading to ASUS TUF z490 Plus Gaming
RAM: Upgrading to 16gb 3000mhz CL15 Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Current Corsair hx850 watt
Case: Current Corsair 540 with stock 2x 140mm front intake, 1x 140mm rear exhaust
(here's where the questions come)
CPU Cooler: I don't think one comes with the intel right? So I was wondering if I should get an AIO that would serve both for CPU cooling and add 2 exhaust fans to the top of my case. I has already planned on buying 3 120mm intake fans and 1 or 2 140mm exhaust fans for the top, so its either get an AIO and 2 top exhaust fans get taken care of, or buy an air cooler and then also have to buy 2 additional fans for exhaust.

Let me know what you guys think and anything you would change. I am purchasing through Best Buy since I have a pretty heafty credit through them. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
If you want to save money the better option would be to get an R5-3600X and a B550 motherboard, in the long run it will be much cheaper than the Z490 and i7-10700 motherboard and you will get about the same performance in games, plus the overclocking option is there should you choose to use it. Plus you will get the option to upgrade to the AMD Ryzen 5th generation whereas the Intel most likely won't provide many future upgrade options.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you want to save money the better option would be to get an R5-3600X and a B550 motherboard, in the long run it will be much cheaper than the Z490 and i7-10700 motherboard and you will get about the same performance in games, plus the overclocking option is there should you choose to use it. Plus you will get the option to upgrade to the AMD Ryzen 5th generation whereas the Intel most likely won't provide many future upgrade options.

Solution