Question Opinions on my pc upgrade

jaka.kedacic

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017
My current pc is getting pretty old. I upgraded some parts , but its struggling to keep up with modern games. I have a i5 3rd gen and 8 gbs of ram ( ddr3) that i want to replace. My graphics card is good enough i'd say. I have an asus 1660 ti oc edition. I would also keep my 850 evo ssd (500 gb). But i would replace pretty much everything else. This would be the final build
Cpu: Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: Msi x470 gamung plus
Ram: Corsair vengance LPX 32gb (2x16)
Ssd : Samsung evo 970 m.2 500 gb
Case: Nzxt h500
power supply: evga 500w 80+
And also the 2 parts i mentioned before:
Graphic card: asus 1660 ti oc
Ssd 2nd: Samsung evo 850 500gb

I would appreciate any feedback you guys have. I want something that can handle newer games for a longer time( 3 years or so) and i plan on upgrading my graphics card and monitor next after that in a year or so to handle 144 hz and maybe a higher resolution.

Cioby

Distinguished
I wouldn't take the AMD bait so easily, a reviewer already burnt one chip and he barely did anything with it. IF you don't plan on doing any intense workloads that require you to finish them super fast, the Ryzen is a horrible choice in any possible way. Besides it being more expensive than even the new generation Intel chips, they provide lower fps and little to NO overclock so what you get is what you'll have for years, while a good Intel chip can last you for 8 years talking directly from experience and my 4770k still runs fine but the motherboard is having issues so I replaced it all.

A good i7 8700k or higher will keep you happy for as many years as mine did with only the graphics card to upgrade and at 1080p or even 1440p above 60 fps you will clearly tell the difference, I'm waiting for reviewers to actually show real OC Intel vs Ryzen tests but from what I've seen the Ryzen looses even without any overclock, even tho a normal i7 could get you almost +1 Ghz, funny how not one big reviewer even mentions it, Linus did for 2 seconds saying only how it didn't overclock.

Secondly your PSU might be underwhelmed by a bigger card, 500 is kinda on the limit of power needed. I just got myself a 850W the first time I got a power hungry 980ti and the warranty says 10 years, so I expect that and more. EVGA is a great choice tho.

Third, not sure how good the m.2 will be, most people say it's good for doing stuff on it but if you just plan to game idk how much faster it can get honestly, if at all, the PC still needs to process all that stuff when loading, it's like when I removed some annoying intro movies but the game would load the same cause all the assets weren't loaded yet. Sure from a good 200 MBps HDD to a Samsung SSD the loading times in Total War decrease from like 2 minutes almost to 10-20 seconds. I'd recommend googling if that is worth it in real life cases or stuff you plan on doing or it's just there for bragging rights, I think the last time I had that research I ended up not buying a good m.2 or PCIE cheap SSD on sale.

P.S. For anyone saying that was a fluke or bad luck with the chip, let me remind you or tell you why Intel hasn't done their smaller technology chip yet, cause they are not money hungry desperate like AMD. Doing a smaller chip technology means it's easier to make mistakes or ruin the chip or have it FAIL. Therefore I expect a lot more Ryzen fails. Also good luck overclocking, which will theoretically void your warranty and very likely ruin your chip.

WildCard999

Titan
It's a good upgrade, you may need to use that BIOS Flashback feature to update the motherboard before it will accept that 3700X, fortunately it's fairly easy to do.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

The only thing I would change is the PSU, while that one may be ok for the system I would highly recommend getting a better quality 550W unit. The Seasonic Focus Gold would be an excellent choice and if money is tight then change the memory to 16gb and/or the SSD to the Intel 660P M.2.

jaka.kedacic

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017
I wouldn't take the AMD bait so easily, a reviewer already burnt one chip and he barely did anything with it. IF you don't plan on doing any intense workloads that require you to finish them super fast, the Ryzen is a horrible choice in any possible way. Besides it being more expensive than even the new generation Intel chips, they provide lower fps and little to NO overclock so what you get is what you'll have for years, while a good Intel chip can last you for 8 years talking directly from experience and my 4770k still runs fine but the motherboard is having issues so I replaced it all.

A good i7 8700k or higher will keep you happy for as many years as mine did with only the graphics card to upgrade and at 1080p or even 1440p above 60 fps you will clearly tell the difference, I'm waiting for reviewers to actually show real OC Intel vs Ryzen tests but from what I've seen the Ryzen looses even without any overclock, even tho a normal i7 could get you almost +1 Ghz, funny how not one big reviewer even mentions it, Linus did for 2 seconds saying only how it didn't overclock.

Secondly your PSU might be underwhelmed by a bigger card, 500 is kinda on the limit of power needed. I just got myself a 850W the first time I got a power hungry 980ti and the warranty says 10 years, so I expect that and more. EVGA is a great choice tho.

Third, not sure how good the m.2 will be, most people say it's good for doing stuff on it but if you just plan to game idk how much faster it can get honestly, if at all, the PC still needs to process all that stuff when loading, it's like when I removed some annoying intro movies but the game would load the same cause all the assets weren't loaded yet. Sure from a good 200 MBps HDD to a Samsung SSD the loading times in Total War decrease from like 2 minutes almost to 10-20 seconds. I'd recommend googling if that is worth it in real life cases or stuff you plan on doing or it's just there for bragging rights, I think the last time I had that research I ended up not buying a good m.2 or PCIE cheap SSD on sale.

P.S. For anyone saying that was a fluke or bad luck with the chip, let me remind you or tell you why Intel hasn't done their smaller technology chip yet, cause they are not money hungry desperate like AMD. Doing a smaller chip technology means it's easier to make mistakes or ruin the chip or have it FAIL. Therefore I expect a lot more Ryzen fails. Also good luck overclocking, which will theoretically void your warranty and very likely ruin your chip.
Thank you for taking your time and replying with such depth. Maybe i did take the amd bait a bit too fast. Seemed too good to be true honestly. Will consider everything you said
PS: gotta respect a fellow total war enthusiast

I personally have different opinions to everthing said by Cioby (no offence btw, just different opinion). Here in the UK, the Intel CPU with closest price to the Ryzen 3700x is the 8700 (non-K). This basically goes against everything they said about overclocking, as the 8700 has a locked multiplier. The 8700k mentioned is £50 more, but even so is very near to the end of the line for LGA1151 (9th Gen is not much better and hotter, 10th Gen will be even hotter, even more expensive, or even on a new socket). Meanwhile, the 3700x has huge upgrade potential (all the way to Ryzen 9 atm, Ryzen 4000 afterwards most likely). The 3700x should also last as long as the 8700.
As for the storage, if your budget allows it, definitely stay with the 970. M.2 drives support a whole new type of SSD - NVME. This is something SATA doesn't have. It will mean that games will load so much faster, and you can see this simply by looking on YouTube. Before NVME, SSDs simply did not get anywhere near the max transfer speed of RAM. NVME still doesn't, but it is so much closer than SATA, and it is noticeable.

jaka.kedacic

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017
I personally have different opinions to everthing said by Cioby (no offence btw, just different opinion). Here in the UK, the Intel CPU with closest price to the Ryzen 3700x is the 8700 (non-K). This basically goes against everything they said about overclocking, as the 8700 has a locked multiplier. The 8700k mentioned is £50 more, but even so is very near to the end of the line for LGA1151 (9th Gen is not much better and hotter, 10th Gen will be even hotter, even more expensive, or even on a new socket). Meanwhile, the 3700x has huge upgrade potential (all the way to Ryzen 9 atm, Ryzen 4000 afterwards most likely). The 3700x should also last as long as the 8700.
As for the storage, if your budget allows it, definitely stay with the 970. M.2 drives support a whole new type of SSD - NVME. This is something SATA doesn't have. It will mean that games will load so much faster, and you can see this simply by looking on YouTube. Before NVME, SSDs simply did not get anywhere near the max transfer speed of RAM. NVME still doesn't, but it is so much closer than SATA, and it is noticeable.
Interesting take. The diffrence in prices can be noticed in my country aswell. The amd chips are much cheaper here and that was one of the main reasons i considered the 3700x. I will need to see more tests before i make up my mind but right now i am favoring the 3700x aswell