Opinions on new build

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Hi all, just looking for opinions on this:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Skpstr/saved/NzsXP6

It's basically for gaming, (VR as well, probably will get a Vive) and is going to have to serve for 5-10 years. (although I'll expect to have to turn settings down as the system ages)

As far as case, storage, peripherals, etc., I'll re-use some stuff, buy new, I'll figure that out when the time comes.

Couple questions, I currently have this PSU: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/V9zv6h/thermaltake-power-supply-w0388ru

Would it work for this build? Could I use a new PSU that was 700w, but only 80+ bronze, or even just plain?

Second, I'm on a fairly restricted budget, but have I picked a particular brand of anything that's not a good value, even at a lower price?

Thanx in advance.

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Yeah, I really would like a 1070 or 1080, but just not in the budget, and the comparos I've done put the RX580 a bit above the 1060 6Gb, which is more expensive anyway.

Prices may come down, (though I can't see a 1070 coming down to around $300 for a LONG time lol) but since I won't be buying everything at once, the GPU comes first, since I can use it to replace the HD7790 on my current machine for the time being.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia got caught up with the mining craziness. Consequently it over- produced the 10 series cards by a good margin. Since companies like Asus, msi, Gigabyte and others are under contract to receive 'x' amount of cards by specific dates, nvidia said 'ok' here ya go, and dumped the lot on them. This now leaves those companies sitting on huge stockpiles of last gen cards. I'd not be surprised to see a bidding war as they try to get their money back out of the stock. Black Friday / cyber Monday is going to be very interesting....

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
That's good to hear, maybe worth waiting for.

Since the system will have to do me for years, a few months' wait won't hurt. Even if I don't get a 1070/80, such a bidding war might drive the proce of the 580 down.