Opinions on Prime95

Solution
I think it was originally developed to find prime numbers. They probably found out that it stresses the CPU quite a bit so they added a benchmark function. The program will run calculations to find prime numbers. It runs a second calculation to check itself and when it encounters an error it stops the operation on that core.

This is useful for overclocking because you can find instabilities without crashing your system (often).

I can overclock my A10-5800k to 4ghz from 3.8ghz. But once I hit 4.1ghz core #3 fails. (This is without voltage increases)

Prime95 is a good tool to have and I would certainly play around with it when you have the time.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I think it was originally developed to find prime numbers. They probably found out that it stresses the CPU quite a bit so they added a benchmark function. The program will run calculations to find prime numbers. It runs a second calculation to check itself and when it encounters an error it stops the operation on that core.

This is useful for overclocking because you can find instabilities without crashing your system (often).

I can overclock my A10-5800k to 4ghz from 3.8ghz. But once I hit 4.1ghz core #3 fails. (This is without voltage increases)

Prime95 is a good tool to have and I would certainly play around with it when you have the time.

Solution