Opinions on this gaming 'build'

Stealthy Meatloaf

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Hey there. I've had a Gigabyte-made Radeon HD 4850 for a while now, and I think it's time to upgrade the rest of my machine as well. These are the parts I'm getting, which don't include a HDD, optical drive, or a PSU, which I upgraded with the 4850 (750W). I'll basically use this computer for 3D modeling here and there, but mostly gaming. More recent games such as Brink, Battlefield 3, upcoming RAGE, etc.

Cooler Master HAF 912 Case

Cooler Master 200mm red LED case fan (I'll mount it to the top of the case)

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard (Was primarily looking for a mobo with an AM3+ CPU socket and 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 so I'd have the ability so upgrade to a x8/x8 double GPU setup)

G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Phenom II x4 955 CPU (Certainly require a quad core)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 + Heatsink/Fan

And here's the 4850, in case you'd like to see it.

Total comes out to $436.49 with shipping/tax. I'd like advice on these parts, and perhaps suggestions for different parts that can do the same thing or are a better value. I wouldn't really like a part that raises the price much higher than this, but don't be afraid to post it anyway, I might be able to make it work.

And finally, thanks for your time!

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
You will benefit from more RAM. I don't know what's the sweet spot for bulldozer but I wouldn't go any lower than 1600 and I'm leaning toward 1866mhz. You don't need the hyper 212+ but it's a nice addition. You can reuse the 4850 but I do suggest selling it off soon. Keep your eyes open for new gpu release either by the end of this year or 2012.

Stealthy Meatloaf

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Yeah, I'm planning to start looking into a new GPU by early January, and I will probably get some additional RAM as well. I know the most you'll ever need for games is probably 3-4 GB, but I understand how more is better.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Haha I suggested more RAM for your 3D modeling. I'm assuming your 64bit if not try to upgrade to utilize more RAM other than that. You can get most of your parts now if you want.

Stealthy Meatloaf

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Oh, haha. But I won't be doing it a huge amount, and with my current PC Blender runs okay. But I don't do anything major. And I'm certainly getting these parts within 2 weeks.

TRENDING THREADS