[SOLVED] Opinions on this MSI card?

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 LHR 10GB GDRR6X 320-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink Torx Fan 4 RGB Ampere Architecture OC Graphics Card (RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10G LHR)

Amazon has this for $1792. I had my heart set on an EVGA FTW3 and have signed up for the queue but I don't think it will be available anytime soon. I know MSI is a decent brand of GPU. Does anybody have experience or opinions on this card? Also will it play nice with my Asus motherboard. Specs below. Thanks.

Also I know a 7700K isn't an ideal match for a 3080 but my 1080ti died and I need to buy something. I game in 1440p so I also know a 3070 would be enough but I think the 3080 will be a little more future proof especially if I upgrade my entire PC in the next year or so.

7700K OC'd to 5.0Ghz
Asus Maximus IX Code motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 32GB ram at 3000Mhz
2x Evo 960 500GB M.2

Solution
I figure you mean Prime Titanium?
Both the older and newer Prime units have trouble with the high transient power draw of the higher end RTX 30 cards, and will crash on you under load.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Both the older and newer Prime units have trouble with the high transient power draw of the higher end RTX 30 cards, and will crash on you under load.

Solution

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Yes, it's a Prime Titanium. That's strange, I thought the Seasonic Primes were high quality. What do you recommend? Any opinions on the MSI card?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't recall seeing any complaints for the MSI Gaming Z Trio coolers. This is the newer LHR revision though, so probably hasn't been reviewed directly.

I was able to get a FTW3 3080Ti for retail through Newegg, not sure I would pay $1800 for a 3080. Going to be closer to $2000 after tax.

Maybe shoot for a cheaper stopgap in the meantime? 3060Ti should be enough.

Reactions: RodroX

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's strange, I thought the Seasonic Primes were high quality.
They are, it's just that Nvidia's RTX 30 gpus have 💩 power efficiency curves. A price they, and us, pay for having Samsung make their dies this time around instead of TSMC.
I bought a Corsair AX850(almost 300 bucks) before the power problem really spread - it's a Prime-based unit, BTW.
Needless to say, I'm not happy about it either, and am choosing to wait for next gens, hoping they have improved power efficiency curves.

"What do you recommend?"
A unit from Tier A that doesn't have a reference to those transient power spikes.
Corsair's RMX
be quiet's Dark Power 12
Seasonic's OneSeasonic Focus refresh
These are models on that list that are ok.

"Any opinions on the MSI card?"
I like their Dragon motif? Not much else to say about it - besides the price(YEOUCH), of course.

Reactions: RodroX

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and purchased. I read as many reviews as I could find and it seems to be a solid card. It sucks paying this much for a GPU but I don't think stock is going to be readily available over the next year, never mind the next few months. It really sucks that my 1080ti died. I was getting along with that just fine. I guess now I have an excuse to buy a better CPU and motherboard (if they are available).

Interesting. I wonder if has to do with the capacitors on the filter regulators causing a line droop.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if has to do with the capacitors on the filter regulators causing a line droop.
I was just reading some posts about the Prime Titanium issue with 3000 series GPU's. One person had an interesting comment. He said that Seasonic PSU's are smart enough to sense a high current draw even if just a spike. It would then shut down to protect your other components. Claims that other manufacturers just let the spike draw the current putting your pc at risk. Makes sense to me. My current Prime Titanium 850 will not power up my pc with a bad GPU installed. Just made a couple posts about this issue with my pc not turning on. Doesn't change the fact that if peoples pc's are crashing they need to upgrade their PSU. I am now thinking I need to return the second Titanium 850 I just bought and get a 1000 watt from EVGA or Corsair.

It's also interesting that Seasonic PSU's would be having the issue since they make PSU's for a lot of other companies.

I was just reading some posts about the Prime Titanium issue with 3000 series GPU's. One person had an interesting comment. He said that Seasonic PSU's are smart enough to sense a high current draw even if just a spike. It would then shut down to protect your other components. Claims that other manufacturers just let the spike draw the current putting your pc at risk. Makes sense to me. My current Prime Titanium 850 will not power up my pc with a bad GPU installed. Just made a couple posts about this issue with my pc not turning on. Doesn't change the fact that if peoples pc's are crashing they need to upgrade their PSU. I am now thinking I need to return the second Titanium 850 I just bought and get a 1000 watt from EVGA or Corsair.

It's also interesting that Seasonic PSU's would be having the issue since they make PSU's for a lot of other companies.

The high transient power draw of the RTX 3xxx series its a problem for other PSU makers too (and not only those that may use a Seasonic base PCB).

On the other hand you could probably run 2 x RTX 2080 or 1x 6900XT with your PSU without any issues.

I guess nvidia is pushing the chips pretty hard (they probably knew RDNA 2 was going to be dangerous to business) and Samsung silicon does not seems to be as good power wise as we would like. Of course the Global Pandemic and mining made it all worst.

Reactions: emitfudd