Question Opinions on Upgrades

May 23, 2020
So I built my PC in 2012/13 whilst at Uni and it hasn't been used a great deal for the last few years. Seen as I have been at home for the last few months I have finally got around to cleaning the PC and using it again while upgrading my office/game room.

I was thinking of slowly upgrading some of the parts and was hoping for some recommendations or advice as I am well out of sync with all the current components. Currently have: Asus Z77 Sabertooth Mobo, i5 3570k, 8gb DDR3 & Gigabyte GTX 680. I wanted to upgrade the Mobo, CPU & RAM first, any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks

dat789

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2013
If changing mobo, CPU and RAM, I'd normally start out my search at CPU benchmark sites (search for it). Find my current CPU (the Intel i5 3570, in your case... but which clock speed?) Then, depending on your budget, you can determine on what you want to splash on -- expectedly on one that has a higher rating, higher benchmark than your current one.

Again, same thing on the motherboard, then RAM.

Personally, I have built mine around the same time as you. If I'm not wrong, motherboards appreciates in their value over the years. I wouldn't consider overhauling my system for new parts just to be current with today's requirement unless you could not do what you want to do best with your current set up. But that's just me.

TRENDING THREADS