Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
building my 1st. system , money is somewhat of an issue , but looking for good stuff , here goes my list so far.
p111 800 133
asus CUSL2-C MOBO
128 pc133 crucial
20 gig quantum fireball plus AS
addtronics 300 watt case/power supply
sound blaster live512 gamer
vidio card , not to sure yet ??
win98se
mainly for gaming
opinions please!!
the more the better please.
mainly on the mobo , and i don't want "RAID" on mobo
many thanks guy's

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well the System looks good. Go for the ATi Radeon 32mb ddr or 64mb ddr. the radeon has the most features dollar by dallor

First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!!

G

If you say money is an issue, I would go for a Thunderbird or Duron instead of a P3-800. Even with intel's price cuts AMD processors are still cheaper and, generally, bringing similar if not better performance.

G

Read toms "building a dream system" article. I read it after I put together my latest system and we differ only on the brand of geforce 2 gts card and cd rom drives. Live value vs. Live gamer will save you $50.00 Athlon Vs. P3 will save you at least $100.00 AMD is the way to go.

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well to be honest , i'm not to comfortable in builing a amd system , nothing against them , just don't feel to safe in building one since it wil be my first build
sorry guys , and apparently the p111 800 , can be easily over clocked to 1000

G

Putting together an Athlon system doesn't require any more rocket science than assembling a PIII system. They both assemble the same way. Use AMD recommended parts and you wont have any problems.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Radeons are good, but I suggest that you also take a look at the GTSs.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since your thinking of overclocking, I stongly suggest the PIII 700, because it is cheaper and overclocks just as far, and because it supports more reasonable bus speeds do to it's 7x jumper. Of coarse, if you are looking into hard core overclocking, the 700 does 1000 at 142, but the 800EB at 166. With memory that will support the 166FSB, it will perform better, but your AGP will be at 83 and your PCI at 42 MHz. For that configuration I highly recommend Mushkin revision 3 PC150. For the 700 I recommend the Crucial Cas2 because it is cheaper and will still go fairly high.

Suicide is painless...........

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A intel pc is eaiser to set up over a Amd system. Cause VIA sucks. ATi radeon has more features per dollar over nvidia. ok!!!

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thks guys , your helping me more than you know , any other recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated , especially regarding the mother board is the asus that i've chosen
ok?????????????
thks again

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Depending on your budget, I would opt for going with an AMD processor. You will get more bang for your buck. Here is what i would get if I were u.

AMD T-bird 800-900
Abit KT7 mobo
VC133 RAM
30gb Wester digital or Maxtor
A good Mid-tower case with a 300w power supply
Sould blaster Live! Value
Elsa erazor III tnt mx
run win ME or 98se

For that guy who told you to get a Raedon, he's an idiot. ATI sux for high quality graphics. Nvidia chipsets are far superior. Check out tom's reviews. hope this helps.

--SR

G

Via has more compatibility problems versus an Intel Chipset, this is not an amd flame, it is the truth. I build both, and you are correct, an amd system can be built, with careful planning. But for a first time builder, someone will likly run into less problems with an Intel System. Not that Intel is better, just Easier.

G

If you do stick with Intel (and you have expressed sound reaons for doing so as a first timer) I'd recommend the Asus board without reservation. Go for the 700Mhz CPU if you can find one - it is cheaper and will overclock as far as the 800. The 733 is another good value option as it will take 150Mhz FSB happily.
Re graphics cards the Radeon and the geforce2 GTS are pretty evenly matched. Bear in mind that there can be incompatability problems with the NVidia cards and the Abit KT7 if you do go AMD
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Svetty on 01/30/01 04:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

AMD A1000APT3C = 1Gb 133/266 Mhz FSB
abit mobo KT7A with raid and
2 IBM Deskstar DTLA 307030 = in raid 2 times faster
and use your old PC133 SDRAM's

G

If you're set on Intel, I can't really comment on the MB choice, but ASUS makes some great boards (even with VIA chipsets). I got burned by Intel and the 815 chipset with the faulty MTH so you can't always trust that Intel will be the "easiest" to put together. My theory is if you get quality components from reputable manufacturers and sellers, you are going to have a much easier time, no matter what your base processor is.

I would go for an IBM GXP hard drive based on the benchmarks I've seen. I just ordered a 30 gig GXP for $150 (shipping included). Definitely go with a Nvidia vid card unless you want the all-in-wonder features of ATI. Guillemot (Hercules) is my preferred manfacturer of vid cards and if you want value go with an MX (~$120). They always have prompt driver updates and seem like a solid company that one can depend on. Memory choice is fine.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
" I got burned by Intel and the 815 chipset with the faulty MTH "

The i820 has the MTH problem. the i815 is good and stable as the 440bx. there very easy system to build.